This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Change product version during install

2 replies to this topic

Madhura

Madhura
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 14:23

Hi,

How can I set the product version information during installation (after having read it from a file on the install CD)?
I tried to set the property ProductVersion in the OnMoved event of MoveData. The value of the property changes correctly. But the support info link in the Add/Remove program still shows the old value (that was set during design time).
Where am I going wrong?
And how can I get this done?

Thanks,
Madhura

dpp

dpp
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 00:09

I used MsiSetProperty() on ProductVersion to change the product version during installation in a custom action / installshield script. I then inserted the custom action into the exec sequence after ISStartup.

But, this is not what I want. I want the version number to be read from a text file during build time for the installer, so that I don't have to modify the installshield project everytime we rebuild our application. Is there some way I can link the ProductVersion property to data in a text file? Or are there any other suggestions on how to do this?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 07:26

The way i achived this was to create an executeable, that would read in our build number, and then run an SQL on the windows installer database after it was built.
We then have a complete msi with the correct version numbers etc.
Also, I change the package/product codes with this code aswell so this does not have to be done manually.

If you are using InstallSheild, it has a feature called the Automation Interface which should help you out a bit as well.