This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Combining 2 installers

1 reply to this topic

bilandadee

bilandadee
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 18:59

Hey there,

So this is pretty lengthy inquiry, but I'm still pretty new at this so here goes.

Basically, there's 3 installers which I'll call A, B, and C. smile.gif
Installer A and B are PRQs in Installer C.

I am trying to combine Installer B and C. I thought all I would need to do is add all of the components and merge modules that were installed in Installer B to Installer C, and then remove Installer B from the setup prereqs....

I'm experiencing 2 issues.

1. The files added to Installer C are all in the form of merge modules, and none of the merge modules have changed. When they were in Installer B, they would install to C:/Program Files/Our Company/Our Product. And now, as part of Installer C, they install to C:/Program Files. I tested and rebuilt one of the merge modules, and got it to install to the correct directory. But why would they be installed to a different directory than originally? Is there something I'm missing? They are all set to install to the merge module's default directory. How would all of the merge modules directories' have changed to C:/Program Files without me changing anything? INSTALLDIR in Installer C is set to [ProgramFilesFolder]OurCompany...and the original files in Installer C all install to the correct location, just not the new ones I added...

2. In Add/Remove Programs, as we originally released, 3 products appear, one for each of the original installers (A, B and C). The new Installer C upgrades the original Installer C, but leaves Installer B in Add/Remove Programs. I've added the Upgrade Code from the old Installer C to the Major Upgrades, but because it's technically a different product code, it's not getting upgraded (and removed from Add/Remove Programs). I suspect I need a custom action to remove the old Installer B. I copied an example I found somewhere, but don't know that it applies and could use help on if this even the right approach (and if, so how to actually do it) smile.gif

Working directory: SystemFolder
Filename & Command line: [SystemFolder]msiexec.exe /x {Product Code GUID of Installer B} /qb
Return Processing: Asynchronous (No wait for completion)
In-Scrip Execution: Immediate Execution
Execution Scheduling: Always execute
Install Exec Condition: REMOVE="ALL"
Admin Exec Sequence: After InstallFinalize

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

~Bilandra:)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 20:19

1. Some merge modules support setting their target directory. Did you compare the merge module settings in the tow Installshield projects that consume the modules? Some merge module components use INSTALLDIR as their target directory, others use TARGETDIR. If your old insaller B was created using a different setup tool (not InstallShield) this might make a difference.

2. To remove the old version of Installer B, add a Major Upgrade entry for its UpgradeCode (the UpgradeCode of old INstaller B, not the UpgradeCode of Installer C).