This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Silent Mode not performing Installscript actions

7 replies to this topic

Chelley

Chelley
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:39

Hi

I've got a working Installscript MSI project which in the installscript I do some things like XCopyFile and removing features. However, when I create it so that it runs in silent mode it no longer performs those actions. Simply goes through the installation copying the relevant components etc but of course not removing ones its supposed to in the script.

Is there something set up wrong???

Thanks

Michelle

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 17:41

Remember that the UI events (OnFirstUIBefore and the like) don't get executed in a silent install.

Chelley

Chelley
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:37

Hi

We have a lot of our functionality written in the UI events. Seeing as we can't do this for silent installations what would you recommend as an alternative. Would reverting it all to a Basic MSI be suitable?? We previously had our project in a Basic MSI project but found that getting it to perform actions at certain points was complicated and difficult to maintain.

Therefore would changing to an alternative to Installshield be an option? And if so is there anything you would recommend.

Thanks

Michelle

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 15:56

In general I would prefer BasicMSI for several reasons. You have very good control over what action will be called at which time. Maybe this article would help you:
http://www.installsi...00108/index.htm

If you want to stay with InstallScriptMSI, you will have to put your code in other event handlers, such as OnMoving or OnBegin.

Chelley

Chelley
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 08:52

OK so in a Basic MSI project how would I add the SilentWriteData and SilentReadData functions required to set up the silent mode stuff??

Michelle

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:11

In Basic MSI there is no response file. All parameters are passed in on the command line as properties, or you can set these properties using a transform (.mst). SilentWriteData and SilentReadData only apply to InstallScript (and InstallScript MSI). Basic MSI is a completely different model.

Chelley

Chelley
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:40

I see. I understand now. So would custom actions be executed in silent mode???

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 09:52

Yes, if they are in the Install Execute sequence.