This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Registration of multiple dll's in multiple folders

5 replies to this topic

elliottrb

elliottrb
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 20:51

I have an application that has around 230 dll files that need to be registered during the installation. This would be easy if all of the dll's lived in one folder, but they do not. For example, RPT504WebClass.dll lives in the Rpt504 subfolder, RPT310BusServices.dll lives in the Rpt310BusServices subfolder. There are at least a hundred that are like this. What would be the best way to install these dll files into their proper directory structure and have the register during setup? Would it be easiest to just create a batch file containing hard coded paths to each dll file that can be launched using the LaunchApp function? Then there is no way for error checking or handling.

I have a dynamic link setup in the FG to pick up the content. I guess I could create separate FG's and Components but that would be difficult since there are so many.

Is it a good idea to set the Self-Registered property for a FG that contains dll files as well as .htm, .asp, and .pdf files? I know that those files will not get registered, but will it error out and cause the setup to take forever?

Thanks for all replies.
Robbie
Robert B. Elliott[br]Systems Engineer[br]Xact Radio Network, LLC.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 00:26

Use the self-registration property, but just make extra file groups to separate the items that will be registered from stuff that won't be registered. If there are dependencies, to say system files, then you may also need to set Enable(SELFREGISTERBATCH); prior to the file transfer. For more information about this, see the help.
user posted image

elliottrb

elliottrb
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 21:00

I understand what you are saying. But my problem is that I have lots of folders that have dll files that need to be registered. Some of the folders have dll files and other files in the same folder. If I have to create separate FG's for each folder that has a dll that needs to be registered I will have to create around 200 FG's. Is that what you are saying to do?

The other problem with that building this setup from a batch file will be a problem since updates for new sites we add will have to have FG's created for the dll's that live in the folders used by the new sites. If I could put it all into one big FG I could simply add those folders to my source directory and rebuild using a batch process.

I am just looking for ways to make this so an operator can batch build the setup without needing me to update the project every time they need a build for a new site.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Robbie

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 06:57

How about a script-only way?

Do a recursive file search ( *.dll ) in TARGETDIR.
For every svResult do "regsvr32 /s %svResult%" ...
Does this help you?
Gruß / regards
Thomas

elliottrb

elliottrb
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 15:46

That is more along the lines of what I am thinking. I can just execute a batch file from the script that will register everything but it will be ugly if I have to uninstall. I guess I could execute another batch during maint. that would unregister everything. hmmm. I may have to look into that way.

Thanks for the post,
Robbie

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 September 2003 - 16:41

Sorry, but why use batch files when you can do it in InstallScript?
This should solve the uninstallation problem too.
But where you have to put the script, I don't know (I still use the good old IS5 without any event scripts cool.gif )
Gruß / regards
Thomas