This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Can a MSM contain its dependecies?

6 replies to this topic

o_ganot

o_ganot
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:10

Hi all,

I have a problem regarding to msm deployment.

I have an msm (X.msm) that collects as a dependency Y.msm.
When I want to deploy my X.msm to a third party (that will use it in a MSI project)I also need to provide them the Y.msm seperatly. (In build time, on the third party MSI, the Y.msm needs to be on their machine).

I would like to know if there is a way that my X.msm can concretely contain Y.msm, so I won't need to supply the Y.msm to the third party.

Thanks.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:31

Maybe check the ModuleDependency Table documentation in the SDK: http://msdn.microsof...dency_table.asp
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

o_ganot

o_ganot
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:52

The documentation you suggested doesn't answer my question, but thnx anyway.

I thought of another idea:
Add the inner (Y.msm) merge module as one of X.msm installed files and somehow link some tables so that X.msm can use this file as the dependency it needs.

I have no clue if this is possible nor how to implement it...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:30

A msm cannot contain another msm. The ModuleDpendencies table exists for that reason.
Of course you could create a Z.msm that contains the contents of both X.msm and Y.msm. But whenever a new version of X.msm or Y.msm is released you also need to update your Z.msm. When you do this be sure to keep the component GUIDs in sync. And if X.msm or Y.msm are coming from a third party check their license agreement to be sure you are allowed to extract the contents of their merge module and build a new module from it.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:31

BTW I don't see what the problem is, why don't you just send them X.msm and Y.msm ?

o_ganot

o_ganot
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 13:44

The reason is that the requested solution is more complicated:

M.msi merges X.msm and Y.msm ver 1.0.0.1.
Y.msm ver1.0.0.2 is a dependency of X.msm.

In other words, the MSI should merge different versions of the same msm (Y.msm)

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 16:40

The component GUIDs (and the destination directories and/or file names) need to be different if you want different versions of the same file in your setup.