This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

upgrade problems

2 replies to this topic

igogo

igogo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 15:53

<Installshield Windows Installer 2.01 >
Hello,
I've been authoring upgrade installation using upgrade table and came across several problems which I've never had a chance to resolve.
Q:
1) There is a component in previous version of setup that has a key file associated with it. Now it's broken - several files, including key file, were moved to another component since I had to change their target path. All component's properties apart from changes described are left intact.I would expect that given new files added to component and some of the old files deleted from it there will be some files left over after upgrade, and it would be perfectly all right since I've had violated component rules. What really happens, however, is that any files are removed except for the files added later. Peeking into setup log file confirmed that either component was about to re-install (files in question are never changed),gave up copying, (probably) added to component reference count.
Then, at the point of reaching RemoveExistingProducts,setup (prev. version uninstall) ruthlessly removed the same files it was considering copying before in InstallValidate action! I have no idea whatsoever, and I don't to place RemoveExistingProducts before install sequence since there might be data files that should be left rather than replaced and hence here is another question:
Q:
2) There is a non-versioned (data) file in the older installation. During life cycle of application it's modified timestamp was changed => is bigger than it's creation time.
Now, during upgrade it has been replaced by it's newer counterpart whose creation=modified time are equal.
Windows Installer documentation states that in this case upgrade should never overwrite older file, but in reality it does.

Some maybe useful details:
- component in question 1) belongs to a feature whose name didn't change across upgrade and which was installed conditionally.
- For compatibility reasons I cannot mark component retaining
file in question 2) as "Never Overwrite" since there are many other files that might well have qualified for upgrade.

I'm already running out of time.
Simply copy-before-restore-back-afterwards technique would work , but that would compromise the whole purpose of upgrading,isn't it?
Any help will be greately appreciated.

Regards,
Igor      :)

igogo

igogo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 17:48

I've  solved of 2-nd problem: I've erroneously put
the data file in RemoveFile table so it was removed before
upgrade had a chance of comparing the files.
First problem,however ,persist:)

igogo

igogo
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 12:40

As for question 1)
I found that removing the key file from the component causes
component's files to be uninstalled on upgrade (as if the component's being matched against it's upgraded version didn't count  ).