This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to Create Minor Upgrade using installshield

5 replies to this topic

rakeshcs123

rakeshcs123
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 16:27

Hi All,
I have created a setup.msi package with some binaries. I am again creating the setup.msi package with modified binaries and trying to upgrade the product, but i am not able to do so. It is throwing the Following error
Another Version of this product is alread installed.
Installtion of this version can not continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Program on the Control Panel.

Note I have changed the Product version in the Installshield so that Minor upgrade can take place. I have not changed the Product code (dont want Major Upgrade).
Can some one help here.

Also can someone tell me how to change the Package ID in the InstallShield IDE.
I am using InstallShield 2008.

Thanks in advance...

KathyMorey

KathyMorey
  • Full Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 13:44

To run a minor upgrade, add the REINSTALL and REINSTALLMODE properties on the command line of the .msi. Or, package your .msi with the startup launcher, and setup.exe will automatically detect the previous version and start the .msi with the appropriate properties.

Or, you can set the properties in the Property Table of the .msi, but then you must create a system search to detect a new install and "unset" the properties, if you intend to use the installation package for both new installs and upgrades.
Kathy Morey
Synergy Software Engineer
ProfitStars, a Jack Henry Company
kmorey@profitstars.com

rakeshcs123

rakeshcs123
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 16:06

Hi Kathy,
Thanks for the reply...

Do you mean that i need to check the product code in the registry and verify if it is installed and if not installed unset the properties REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL.

if so do i need to put this custom action code after <First Action> in the installshield IDE.

rakeshcs123

rakeshcs123
  • Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 13:33

Hi All,
I am able to run the update from the command line by passing the option REINSTALLMODE=vomus and REINSTALL=ALL, but i want to set these properties in the IDE or in Custom Action so that whenever my installer run in upgrade mode it should be able to upgrade.

Please help me. This is important for me.

Thanks a lot for the help...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 21:01

You can't do this inside the msi but InstallShield's setup.exe can do this for you. But that requires that the user launches the update via setup.exe and not by double clicking the .msi file.

msigeek

msigeek
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:03

This guest article from Bhuvana aims at providing the requirement for minor upgrade, the steps to create it and options to install the same. I reckon, this article will be of an help - "How do you Create a Minor Upgrade using InstallShield"
Cheers'
Vijay Raj
MS-MVP [Setup-Deploy]
Weblog http://www.msigeek.com
Twitter http://twitter.com/msigeek