This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

double quotes around the path to an executable

5 replies to this topic

Mariscal

Mariscal
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 17:32

We ran into a case where a service stopped working just after the installation of a newer version of the software package of which it is a part. The culprit, as it turns out, is the path to the service executable, C:\Program Files\...\<file>.exe; because of the space in "Program Files", the service was trying to start C:\Program rather than resolving <file>.exe. I have the executable defined as TARGETDIR + "\\...\\<file>.exe" in the script.

This seems to have been an isolated incident, as I can't reproduce it, but is there a workaround so that the path to the executable can be enclosed in double quotes, and I can avoid this situation in future?

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 21:10

LongPathToQuote should do the trick.

Mariscal

Mariscal
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 16:15

Ok, thank you very much. Should I then expect to see double quotes around the path to the executable when I double-click on the service in the Windows Service Control Manager? I've placed calls to LongPathToQuote in OnMaintUIBefore and OnFirstUIBefore, but as of yet am not seeing quotes around the path in the SCM. Perhaps I have placed the calls in the wrong function.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 16:23

I'm not really sure because I don't know exactly how InstallShield calls the service WinAPIs etc. The quotes might get lost somewhere. Also I haven't used InstallShield's NT Servoce Object for many years.

prasankn

prasankn
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 17:31

This LongPathToQuote is not working in Windows 2003 SP 1 machine

When the installaition tries to run a file under SUPPORTDIR, it shows C:\Documents is not recognized as an internal or external command.

Only in selective m/cs it gives this message,

I dont know why it is happening

prasanna N sad.gif

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 17:39

You could try if it works with the latest (evaluation) version. Win2003 is not officially supported in IS Pro 6.