This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Component id changed in minor upgrade

3 replies to this topic

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 13:52

I observe that the component id for a particular file has changed between 2 versions of the product. So, when i upgrade from v1 to v1.1, the file is not getting upgraded.

I can also see the following message in the log file

ComponentId {comp id} is registered to feature ABCD, but it is not present in the component table. Removal of components from a feature is not supported.

I tried to fix this by

1. Install v1.0
2. Change the component id of that file to the same as in v1.1, in the registry
I replaced the registry key HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\Components\<comp id> with HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\Components\<new comp id>
3. Found the msi cache location from
HKLM\software\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\userdata\s-1-5-18\Products\<Product id>\InstallerProperties\LocalPackage
Went to this location which is c:\windows\installer and changed the component id in the cached msi file using orca
4. Now i tried upgrade but the file is still not getting upgraded

Ideally, the upgrade should now see the new comp id as part of v1.0 itself as i have made the registry changes.

Are there any more entries that needs to be changed?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 18:49

You'd better fix the component id in the newer version instead.

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:11

Changing the component id in the new version would be right option. Considering that this change cannot be made in the new version as it is already out, what else can be done to work around this problem?

Edited by aarthi_m, 10 December 2007 - 10:44.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 16:27

If you can't change the old version and also can't change the new version: create a fixed new version and send it to your customers.