This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Uninstall Dialog Box Problem

3 replies to this topic

kstixrud

kstixrud
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 21:03

We have seen that our older packages built with IS Professional 6.1 no longer uninstall nicely after another application has been installed on the system that was built using a newer IS Engine (like DevStudio 9).

When launching Uninstall from the Add/Remove programs menu, there are error dialog boxes popping up with no text in them, only the red x icon on them and an ok button, and the dialog boxes are sized just to fit these objects. However the application does uninstall, but very ugly! Is there anyone else who has seen this? I don't see what we can do to the existing installations to avoid this. Any suggestions? Is this a known issue? I haven't seen any other reports of this when searching the forums.
Karen Stixrud

Ozone

Ozone
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 16:24

We recently upgraded from ver 6.12 to Dev 9 SP1 and did not have any difficulty using the same GUID# to upgrade or uninstall the newer Dev 9 after 6.12. We use a script based install using the program block method, so we have an On_Uninstall() function that is custom coded, not the standard IS code.

You might want to make sure that the code, when un-installing, is the same in both products. Or you might want to use a different GUID# for you Dev 9 project and do a cleanup of the ver 6 files in {drive}:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{Your GUID# here} folder.

We are very happy with Developer 9......

kstixrud

kstixrud
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 20:16

Actually, the problem isn't when upgrading our older to product(s) from IS 6.1x to DevStudio 9, that is fine for us also, no problem there. The problem was if a client uninstalled our older product (not an upgrade) after any other program that used a later version of InstallShield - supposedly DevStudio 9 - had been installed on the system -- our older program could not then been nicely uninstalled should the user decide to uninstall rather than upgrade to our newer release. Have you run into this scenario yet?
Karen Stixrud

Ozone

Ozone
  • Full Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 21:09

After testing, I have to say 'Yes', I do get an error message when un-installing a seperate install package made with IS6.12. The message says 'Error extracting support files: Access is denied'. Very strange, because these two projects have seperate GUID numbers and have no common files. I will have to investigate further.....
unsure.gif