This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows 2000 "Open with" question

2 replies to this topic

Scott Matthews

Scott Matthews
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 06:18

I have noticed in Windows 2000 that when you are in Windows Explorer or My Computer, you can right on a file and get "Open" as well as an "Open with" menu options.  I have seen for some files such as Zip files, the "Open with" option has a sub-menu that has "Winzip" as an option.

Question:  What do I have to do in an install project  that will update the correct information in order to have a file extension (.xyz for example) have the "Open with" display "XYZ Utility" as its menu option.

FYI: I am running version 6.22 if it matters.  Also, I am able to correctly associate the file extension with the correct applicate exe so that when I double click on a file, it opens using the correct application.  But, I am stumped on the "Open with" submenu.  The "Open with" currently does not have a submenu and when I click on the "Open with" option,  it brings up list of all applications like it is does not currently have a file  extension association.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanking you in advance.

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 08:56

The open with submenu is filled with the appplications you have selected before to run the file type with.
If you have winzip installed, it normally opens cab files.
If you say open with ... iscab.exe for a cab file, windows will remember this and display iscab in the open with submenu of every cab file.
Working with NT at my at-work-pc I cannot tell you what exactly changes, but I would
  • export the registry
  • open a registered file type with a different application
  • export the registry again
  • look for changes

Perotin

Perotin
  • Full Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 November 2001 - 10:14

I found more information ... This seems to be a user specific registry key.
Look in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts
Here you will find keys for the file extension like .ini and a subkey OpenWithList with a MRUList and a list of applications from a to ... that are used with this file type.