This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Change the InstallDir of Resdistributables

10 replies to this topic

MarcusAK81

MarcusAK81
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 17:22

Hi there,

is it possible to change the installdir for Resdistributable (Mege Module) so that they will be installed in Application Data Folder on Users Profile and not in c:\....

or make it possible that this resdistributables can be installed on c:\... by an user who has no admin privileges?

Regards Marcus

Edited by MarcusAK81, 28 September 2006 - 17:25.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:18

If the merge module is retargettable, then yes. So it depends on how the modulewas authored.

MarcusAK81

MarcusAK81
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:51

Ok i modified the merge module and now its on the path i want, but now the dll (self registered) are unable to register.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:59

Is this your own merge module? You cannot change a third party merge module like this - the whole point of a merge module is to provide a standard way to deploy something. If it is your own merge module you need to stop using SelfReg and start using COM extract at build: http://forum.install...topic=15508&hl=
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

MarcusAK81

MarcusAK81
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:28

It is a thirth-party module, but now i found a way to change the install dir and it works. But the registration failes.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:45

Can you deploy the MSI via active directory or SMS or similar distribution systems? These systems have facilities for allowing "temporary admin rights" during installation for approved applications.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

MarcusAK81

MarcusAK81
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:22

There is no way, cause the complete install shall be possible without any admin.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 15:59

Maybe the merge module is not authored in a way that supports non-admin installs.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:52

Just want to second Stefan's last comment: there are several merge modules that cannot be installed per user. SOAP runtime is one of them. There are several other issues with the SOAP merge module as well which is to be expected from a deprecated product.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

MarcusAK81

MarcusAK81
  • Full Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:22

Ok thanks for help. If i will find a way i will post it here if not i will find another way for me.

Regards
Marcus

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 10:47

Would it be an option at all to use the .NET based SOAP components? These are the ones Microsoft recommend at this stage, but in most cases it is quite a bit of work to rewrite stuff to use .NET over COM.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul