This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Windows Installer Basic

1 reply to this topic

asn2379

asn2379
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 21:56

Hi,
This question is very basic. I am very new to installation.The installation for our product is written in Installshield.Of late, they added a new module to install latest version of XML dlls,since we started using XML in our product. To install or update the msxml dll to  a later version,we are using MSI.
This is how our setup runs:
It will first install our prodcut.(this code is installshield, and i can fairly understand it).
Then from the installshield script, we call the another setup.exe by LaunchAppAndWait method to install or upgrade the latest verion of msxml dll. This setup.exe is generated using the MSI.
This XML setup runs without any user intervention. It displays various dialogs,but the NEXT button will be disabled,and the setup will keep changing the dialogs until it finishes installing the XML.
These are my questions:
1)When I open the project for this MSI project,(a.ism), i cant understand lots of things like conditions.I dont know how the setup automatically runs and next is disabled.
can anyone give me some insight or refer some article that explains the basics.
2)My actual problem is this:The xml setup i explained above works as I said(installs without user intervention,Next button for all the dialogs are disabled).Whereas in Win 2000,it doesnt.The NExt button is enabled, and the user has to press the Next buttons.Could someone explain me where to see the so called code in the Windows Insallter stuff.

Please help me .

Thanks
Arun.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 November 2002 - 17:47

You could try to run it with basic user interface (just a progress bar) or in silent mode. You can do this using command line parameters on msiexec. These are documented in MSI Help (either in your MSI development tool, or in Microsoft's Platform SDK)