This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install and Control service component

4 replies to this topic

MGF128

MGF128
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2001 - 15:25

My setup is installing a service, and I want to make sure the service is stopped and deleted on uninstall.  Can I create a single component that both installs and controls the service?  Or do I need to create two separate components for this (one to install and one to control)?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 09 May 2001 - 17:41

Yes, you only need one component.  In fact I believe it would be wrong to use more than one component.  Just make the necessary entries in the ServiceInstall and ServiceControl Tables.
I am not sure how to do it with ISWI

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 May 2001 - 09:08

In ISWI you control services from the Component Advanced Settings area.  There you can select the actions required for your service.

In a typical execute sequence StopServices and DeleteServices actions appear soon after InstallInitialize.  InstallServices and StartServices appear soon before InstallFinalize.  This allows you to stop and restart a service during an upgrade etc.

MGF128

MGF128
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 May 2001 - 14:03

Thanks.  I didn't think there would be a problem combining them into one component.  But since the ISWI Component wizard had install and control services as separate entities, I thought there may have been a reason behind it.  The InstallShield people don't think there's any problem with it either.