This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to upload to various Web Servers?

7 replies to this topic

AshinSmart

AshinSmart
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:04

I am using InstallShield Dev Studio 9 and have a Basic MSI Project which creates a web installer.
While building, I have to hardcode the "URL for your Files" option.
This prevents me from uploading it to various Servers so that it can be available in more than one site.
Please let me know how I can make my Web Installer upload into various Web Servers.

Edited by AshinSmart, 23 September 2004 - 08:06.

With regards
Ashin

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 17:34

You would have to make separate builds for these servers. That's because the web downloader needs to know from where to get the files.
You could use a CGI or Perl script as target I think to make the location dynamic.

MonkeyK

MonkeyK
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 15:48

Would it be possible to build the install once and then modify the setup.ini to override the property that indicates where the files are?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 14:38

Maybe, I'm not sure. Just give it a try.

MonkeyK

MonkeyK
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 23:44

Quick and dirty answer:

I have succeeded in doing this by modifying the setup.exe with setupini.exe after it is built.

This is probably easier when deploying to a website than seperately building a release for each site, especially if you cannot know the site name until deploy of after building the release.

To find what needs to change, check the release target directory while the release is building. Setup.ini is built relatively soon in the build, and present until just before the release is complete. Copy this file to another location so that you can read it at your leasure.

In my setup.ini there was the following section:
[Harmony.msi]
Type=3
Location=http://78zch16w2k/installs/webinstall/Harmony.msi

(obviously a test location)

So all that I had to do when I moved the build was to run setupini.exe:
setupini.exe setup.exe Harmony.msi Location http://78zch16w2k/in...ll2/Harmony.msi

this changed the location for the release from webinstall to webinstall2.

To verify my changes, I cleared out my Internet Temporary Files, put the install release into webinstall2, and just the setup.exe in webinstall. I then launched the setup.exe from webinstall.

Implications for this are not huge. Since you need to have setupini.exe, it is not practical to do this on the users target device. Changing the Location property from the command line woule be much more desireable. On the other hand, it is probably easier to implement setupini.exe into a website deployment process than to implement an entire release build.

Edited by MonkeyK, 30 September 2004 - 13:53.

AshinSmart

AshinSmart
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 12:03

That was a nice one, thanks MonkeyK.

One more doubt, now.
What else can be found in the setup.ini embedded in the setup.exe?
It is possible to have properties within it?
is there a way to find all the config details available in the setup.ini?
With regards
Ashin

MonkeyK

MonkeyK
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 13:52

I don't know of a way to get the setup.ini info out of the setup.exe, but you can grab it before the build is finished.

As your release is being built, go into the target directory. Setup.ini is created relatively early in the build and will be there until just before the build is finished. Copy it to another location to peruse at your leisure.

AshinSmart

AshinSmart
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 14:34

Ok. Thank you MonkeyK
Art Middlekauff (maker of setupini.exe) suggested that we can do a uncompressed build which will have the setup.ini seperately.

With regards
Ashin