This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Slow Installation

4 replies to this topic

spacer21

spacer21
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:36

hi,

my project's setup.exe size is 17.5 mb. but it takes more time to install as its size tells. how can i decrease the installation time?

there are default components, features etc. which are not used normally i.e. maintenance dialogs etc. is there any way that windows installer does not take that much time to initiate?

i want to make it simpler as Eschalon but more functional. is it possible?

Regards

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 14:23

It is difficult to speed up a setup by removing dialogs etc... The overall framework and overhead of windows installer is still in there. Are there a lot of components in your setup? Many components will slow the whole installation down considerably. Are you using Installscript in the setup? I don't have any objective tests for you, but it was my impression that adding new Installscript custom actions slowed my setup down.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

spacer21

spacer21
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:19

hi,

thanx 4 cooperation. yes, i have included InstallScript and Custom Actions in my setup. it's because i want to to update the database's stored procedures, triggers stc. and for the other scripts i dont know how to include them although i know how to program JScript and VBScript. Yes, there are lots of DLLs and SQLs in the setup.

Regards

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 13:46

Since there are no objective measures of how fast VBScript or JScript is versus Installscript or C++ for that matter you probably have to test this by trial and error sad.gif. Have anyone seen any test results?

If I were you I would temporarily disable all the Installscript custom actions and see if this speeds up the overall progress of the installation. If it does chances are things would run faster with VBScript or at least C++.

The major saving by not using Installscript actions will probably be that there is no need to install the Installscript engine components either, so exclude this from your test setup as well (this engine is installed during the first setup initialization).

Edited by Glytzhkof, 07 July 2004 - 13:47.

Regards
-Stein Åsmul

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:49

I have also seen that when you include large files in your project, the install slows down as well.

A Virus scan can also slow the install down if it is configured to scan .CAB files.You could also add in pauses into the install and try to work out where the install is slowing down.