This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SIDLookup

5 replies to this topic

wicampbell

wicampbell
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 17:00

Has any body tried to use the SIDLookup custom action (found here: http://www.installsi...s.htm#SIDLookup
) from within a merge module project?

Since any properties defined/set within the context of a merge module automatically have the module id appended to the property name, the custom action will not work. I can work around the problem by modifying the custom action code to append the module id to the property name as well, but this requires me to hard code the module id in the custom action source, which is far from ideal.

I imagine that this is a common problem. Is anyone aware of an elegant solution?

The root problem I am trying to solve is setting folder permissions for the USERS group in a localized installation.

Thanks.

Bill

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 17:46

I guess you could set a public property using the Session object. Or - not particularly elegant - you could write the SID to a registry value in the MM and read it out in the CA.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 20:42

Is the problem that your authpring tool automatiocally creates USERS_guid when you enter USERS? Maybe you can turn this off some way? In InstallShield you could go to the Direct Editor to remove the guid.

wicampbell

wicampbell
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 22:51

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2009-06-10 20:42)
Is the problem that your authpring tool automatiocally creates USERS_guid when you enter USERS? Maybe you can turn this off some way? In InstallShield you could go to the Direct Editor to remove the guid.

Yes, wix appends the merge module id to any properties defined within the context of the merge module at compile time, and documentation suggests that it is a good practice, so I don't want to turn it off it I don't have too (first have to see if I can). Might be a feature request to selectively toggle the option on an item by item basis.

Great suggestion. I'll look into it.

Thanks.

Matthias1967

Matthias1967
  • Full Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:45

In WiX 2, there is an "IgnoreModularization" element. In WiX 3, you can set a "SuppressModularization" attribute for the Property element. For details, consult the help files.

Best regards,

Matthias

wicampbell

wicampbell
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 00:02

Thanks, Matthias, I will give your suggestion a shot.

Bill