This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

UAC on Vista

19 replies to this topic

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 13:09

I have an application which will install only if the user is an admin user. On Vista, if i login as "Administrator" the application gets installed. However, if i login as a user who is a member of the "Administrators" group the application fails to install. It fails in one of the launch conditions which checks for "Adminuser". It does not even prompt for admin credentials.

I have a couple of questions here,

1. How is an Administrator different from a user who is a part of the admin grp?
2. What does the condition "Adminuser" mean? Does it check for users in admin grp or if the user is Administrator himself?
3. How can i set elevated privileges for the user?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:56

First of all: make sure you are checking for AdminUser (with upper case U) otherwise the test will fail.

Does your setup exit in the UI sequence or in the Execute sequence? Can you post the relevant lines from the log?

Are you launching your setup using a setup.exe (or the like) or by double-clicking the .msi file?

What's the value in the Word Count field of the Summary Information in your .msi? Does it have bit 8 set?

On which build of Vista are you testing?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:22

The check for admin could involve rights that have been disabled by group policy. Did you try using "Privileged" instead?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 15:35

Iam using AdminUser, U in caps.
From the logs, i can find this error

Error 2835 : The control erroricon was not found on dialog SetupError
Internal error 2835: ErrorIcon, SetupErrorIcon, SetupError

What does this error mean?

I don't get this error while installing as administrator. It comes when the user who installs is a member of administrator group.

How is an administrator different from a user who is a member of the administrator group?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 16:27

That error is probably just a symptom, and not the cause of the problem. I would strongly advise that you check the settings in group policy. Somehow you must have revoked a priviledge in the policy.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 16:28

Can you tell me which setting and how do i access the group policy?

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 16:30

I am afraid I cannot tell you which settings. Go to control panel and try to look in "Local security policy".
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 16:31

Sorry, in control panel go into "Administrator tools" and then you should see the local security policy icon.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 13:24

Error 2835 : The control erroricon was not found on dialog SetupError
Internal error 2835: ErrorIcon, SetupErrorIcon, SetupError

The real error is probably a few lines above this one.

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 13:48

Stefan, From the logs, there are no errors before the setuperror icon message.

Well, after some reading on UAC i get to understand that --

1. Even if the user is a member of the local admin grp, the user is like a standard user only and will be prompted for credentials/consent while accessing apps that require admin privileges.

If i got that right, i would like to know
1. What changes should be done in any application(installer) so that it prompts for consent/credentials?
2. The installer i have is built for pre-vista OS and hence fails as it tries to write to windows folder. Why is it not prompting the user for credentials?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 14:17

Try to rename the setup file to setup.exe as a first test. Windows recognizes this name as a deployment package even on windows 2000 and will ask for admin credentials.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

aarthi_m

aarthi_m
  • Full Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 14:59

As a member of local admin group, if i install using setup.exe, i get a prompt for consent.
However, installing thr' the msi fails.
An extract from http://www.microsoft...8ff918c281.mspx says
Windows Vista includes new a new heuristic installer detection technology that detects installer files at the time of execution.

Installer detection works in two areas:
1. Before a process is created, the following attributes are checked to determine whether this is an installer:

1. If the filename includes the words "install" or "setup".
2. If the file description contains the words "setup" or "install".
3. If the application is identifiable as a Wyse install executable or an InstallShield install executable.
4. Known executable "exe" unpackers/installers are detected as installers.

2. During an MSI install:

1. Installer detection checks the MSI package to determine whether it has any explicit actions that would require the user to be an administrator.

I tried changing the msi name to include the word "install". This still does not help.

What needs to be done to ensure there is prompt for consent on invoking the msi?

Sedov Roman

Sedov Roman
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:10

Hello!
I have a problem like that.
My Custom Action needs admin privileges to run and it works (only) if I run installation using exactly Administrator account.
Word Count Summary property doesn't contain "8 bit".
What can I do for "asking" of elevated privileges before install like for applications with corresponding information in their manifests?

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:58

QUOTE (Sedov Roman @ 2006-08-16 10:10)
Hello!
I have a problem like that.
My Custom Action needs admin privileges to run and it works (only) if I run installation using exactly Administrator account.
Word Count Summary property doesn't contain "8 bit".
What can I do for "asking" of elevated privileges before install like for applications with corresponding information in their manifests?

You should set 4th bit in WordCount Summary property.
See here for more information:
http://community.mac...p?t-160179.html

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 16:57

QUOTE (igodunov @ 2006-09-06 09:58)
[QUOTE=Sedov Roman,2006-08-16 10:10]
You should set 4th bit in WordCount Summary property.
See here for more information:
http://community.mac...p?t-160179.html

I'm mistaken in previous post. But the link was right smile.gif
There is another one that contain direct instructions on package creation:
http://msdn.microsof...or_packages.asp

Sedov Roman

Sedov Roman
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:58

It's OK now in the new build of Vista.
Works as expected.

wleara

wleara
  • Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 17:56

What exactly was the resolution here? I have this same problem and can't get it fixed. TIA!

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:21

QUOTE (wleara @ 2006-09-17 17:56)
What exactly was the resolution here? I have this same problem and can't get it fixed. TIA!

1 Use conditions based on Privileged property.
2 Omit Bit 3 from the value of the Word Count Summary Property to indicate that the package can be required to be elevated.
3 To ensure you CAs working properly - place every custom action that modifies system to the in-script section (use deferred) with no impersonation.

Sedov Roman

Sedov Roman
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 13:19

How Windows Vista asked for Administator's credentional when installs product without Bit 8 of Word Count field.

igodunov

igodunov
  • Full Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 16:33

QUOTE (Sedov Roman @ 2006-09-18 13:19)
How Windows Vista asked for Administator's credentional when installs product without Bit 8 of Word Count field.

>Installer detection checks the MSI package to determine whether it has any explicit actions that would require the user to be an administrator

I suppose installer can't detect whether CA (especially binary) affect system. So You should design such actions in appropriate style (deferred with no impersonation).