This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Same file names, different OS

3 replies to this topic

Jamie

Jamie
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 18:34

I am trying to build an object in IS 6.31 that supports both NT and 2000 (different files for each OS, but the files have common names).  

I create 2 file groups, one for NT, one for 2000.  I then create 2 components, one for 2000, and one for NT.  

When I build and look at the object using the Cab Vile Viewer, everything is fine, each file group has the proper files.  When I embed the object into the calling application, the files become merged, with one overwriting the other.  

I thought having two components would prevent this from happening.  Is there any way of having two files of the same name in one object?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 21:44

Sorry, but no idea Jamie.  I don't use custom Objects, let alone Objects in general.

I see you're still combating the same basic problem and have given up on ComponentFilterOS.
user posted image

bobothebear

bobothebear
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2003 - 12:57

I believe what you are doing is correct.
I use this method for different locales.
I have 8 file groups representing different languages
I then have 8 components for each of the languages.
This is all wrapped up into an object which I call from other applications.
I have not tried this for different OS's but would have thought it works the same.

runningquicklynowher

runningquicklynowher
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 20:41

I haven't used custom objects before, but I have done something similar with a DLL.  The DLL differed between slightly between 2000, NT, and W9x and we had each dll placed in a corresponding support folder on the installation CD.  From there in the install code I used SYSINFO to determine what OS we were installing to and copying the corresponding file in.

For Example:
SYSINFO.WIN9X.bWin95  If TRUE, OS is Windows 95.  
SYSINFO.WIN9X.bWin98  If TRUE, OS is Windows 98.  

I am sure you can also use something like this to select which of your two components gets installed as well.