This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installing System Files

4 replies to this topic

Kelly Lawson

Kelly Lawson
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 May 2001 - 20:39

I have a setup for a program that installs some Microsoft system files (some that are in use) before installing the actual program binaries.  Some of the system files require a reboot since they are in use.  These files must be in place before the program binaries are registered, or they will fail to register because of missing dependencies.  I currently accomplish this by running a seperate install before the main install that installs the system files, then reboots and launches the main install.  Is there a recommended way to accomplish this without having a seperate install project?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 09:20

You should not use self registration with MSI.  A number of tables such as class, typelib, registry exist to do this.

Populating these table is the correct way to register programs.

Msi packaging programs such as InstallShield have functions that will extract registration information for you.  These functions are not perfect so you may need to add a few registry keys yourself.

Kelly Lawson

Kelly Lawson
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 17:13

Thanks for the help.  Do you know of any problems that have been identified with the "Extract at build" component registration setting in ISWI?

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 31 May 2001 - 23:29

There are a few problems of omission. Most objects will be handled OK. but some objects set registry outside the scope of InstallShield spying.  (InstallShield runs regserver and watches to see what is created).

In one of my installations I had eight objects seven worked without a problem.  The eighth was a shell namespace extension.  Installshield failed to spot the shell keys being made so I needed to add them manually.  Not really a problem but you need to check you installation carefully preferably on a clean machine to make sure registrarion is complete and correct.  Once it works once you can be reasonable sure it will continue to work.

Kelly Lawson

Kelly Lawson
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 July 2001 - 17:46

Have you ever had problems, either with proprietary (microsoft) merge modules or the "Extract at Build" registration setting in InstallShield not writing even close to as many registry keys as running regsvr.exe on a dll, then having Windows Installer start running whenever the .dll is loaded by your application?  I tried using this function in InstallShield, and whenever my application tried to load the dll after it was installed, Windows Installer would start running, but if I then self registered the file, it wouldn't happen anymore.  I also had a similar problem using Microsoft's FlexGrid merge module to install msflxgrd.ocx.  Whenever I opened Outlook after running my setup, windows installer would start up and try to run my install again.  I'm assuming Outlook was loading the dll I installed, and it didn't have complete registry information.  Has anything like this happened to you?