This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Best practices for install time reduction...

2 replies to this topic

subodh_jai

subodh_jai
  • Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:29

Are there any known best practices for install time reduction, pls advice....

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:12

Gigabit to the desktop? Seriously, what are hoping to reduce? An install takes as long as it takes and depends on so many factors.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:34

The best tip is not generating single-file installations, instead create an install with an exe, a msi, and one or more cab files. If you don't you may loose minutes at the start of the install, waiting for your computer to extract all the files.

You may want to look at dependencies in relation to your system requirements. I've seen installs that require Windows XP, but still carry GDI+ components. Now GDI+ is present in any Windows XP installation, the components were only there for Windows 2000 and Windows 98. In other words, don't include components that are already present in the minimum supported system configuration.

Validating your MSI may show up some inconsistencies, if you fix them now the target computers don't have to deal with them.