This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Install missing files from lower Setup

4 replies to this topic

BkSetupDev

BkSetupDev
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 16:24

I need to find a way to install lower versions of our product, because our product is able to switch its runtime between different versions. For example if a customer installs our product in version 1.0.0.5 and wants to be able to switch to 1.0.0.4, he just has to install our setup 1.0.0.4 and gets all the missing files out of this setup installed. So it is kind of a downgrade, but without overwriting existing files. Any ideas?

Edited by BkSetupDev, 10 March 2016 - 16:25.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:38

So essentially you want to install the two versions side by side? This should work if the versions have different ProductCodes.

BkSetupDev

BkSetupDev
  • Full Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 13:20

So essentially you want to install the two versions side by side? This should work if the versions have different ProductCodes.

Basically yes, but they shouldn't show up as two versions

deramor

deramor
  • Full Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 00:04

In order to handle Side-by-Side installations, you will have to consider unique install paths for each version or unique names for the common files.  Take the MSVC Runtime as an example.  They install to the same location but the files are named differently.

Naming files differently might not be something you can support since you already shipped something and it sounds like your users have some expectations at this point.  It is hard to change expectations.

Another suggestion is to always install the runtime pieces from older releases.  This causes your installer to grow with each release but it does eliminate multiple entries in add/remove.  Without changing the names of the files, you would need to add unique folder names.

I have an installer that supports many versions back.  It consists of 3 runtime dlls (unmanaged).

These files get their name changed with each version.  myproduct_1.0.dll, myproduct_2.0.dll and so on.

Libs and header files to match each version are also installed.

Because they are unmanaged, they are also in the PATH.  So because I have unique names, I only have to make 1 PATH edit too.

In short, it depends on your specific goals, requirements, and willingness for your customers and dev team to modify their expectations.

My dev team came up with this scheme because the customer wanted it.  Before this, new versions would overwrite the old one and there was no way to go back.  The customer had to make some internal changes in order to support the feature they requested.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:52

You can hide an instalaltion from the Software control panel by setting the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT property.