This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

C? being put in registry for self-registering file

4 replies to this topic

• 58 posts

Posted 27 March 2002 - 18:17

I have at least one OCX (and probably some DLLs do this as well, but I haven't checked) that I have set to "Use Advanced Setting" for the Registration field under the Components section under Advanced Views.

When I added the component to the install, I let Windows Installer (2.03) determine everything.  I just add the file to the feature that I want and let it decide if "Use Advanced Setting" or "Extract at Build" is set.

Now, when the install is executed, in the following location...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Installer \ UserData \ S-1-5-... \ Components

...the registry yields...

KEY: 72D28019C178F5C45837DA058691241B
TYPE: REG_SZ
VALUE: C?\Program Files\BizFlow\bin\HDEditX.ocx

This causes our product to not function correctly.  However, changing this value from a "?" to a ":" will take care of it.

So my question is, why and what would be causing this "?" to be put down in the registry for this OCX (and others) from the install?

Thanks.

• 58 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 14:34

Bump.

Can anyone help me on this please?

• 58 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 13:59

Bump again.

• 58 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 18:10

One more bump.

Anyone?  Help!

Shridar

Shridar
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 20:21

1. Enable verbose logging before running the install.
2. Open the .log file and search for the value of the property 'TARGETDIR'.
3. You may also want to search for the component registration of the ocx by searching the key '72D...' and see the value of 'KeyPath'.

The above values will give you pointers as to whats going wrong!
Thanks,
Shridar.