This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installshield for Windows Installer 1.52

7 replies to this topic

atavares

atavares
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 19:53

I am trying to fix some problems with an installshield for one of our products.  It seems that the original creator of the project added a bunch of OS system files as components.  Then when our customers try to install our product, these files are getting overwritten without notifying the installer or giving the installer the choice to overwrite the files (i.e., winsock.dll, ...)

Keep in mind, I only have 1 week of experience with this product, and we are using version 1.52.  I'd appreciate any and all help.

thanks,

al

80LPJ

80LPJ
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 July 2001 - 21:38

You probably will end up creating a custom dialog that will prompt the user to install your OS component.  Unfortunately,  writing custom interfaces for ISWI is not intuitive, so it will take time for you to figure stuff out.  Try breaking down your question into sub problems.  You'll get a better response in this forum.  

Generally what you want to do is:
1. Create a custom dialog.
2. Createa button.  When you click this button, your OS components will be installed.

Hope this helps

shrishankaraan

shrishankaraan
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 August 2001 - 11:24

Hi

I'm just in to this part of developmetn coupl of days back. i read that 1.5B or 2.0 is a beta tool & we can't ewmploy it to develp the production version. then, how come r u using V1.52 for developing the application??
pl. let me know as I am using windows isntaller 1.1

regards
Sankar

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2001 - 13:27

Two things that must be kept separate:

The Windows Installer Runtime (msiexec to execute MSI file) created by Microsoft. Current release version is 1.2, Version 2.0 is un beta test.

The authoring tool from InstallShield to generate MSI files. InstallShield Professional - Windows Installer Edition (IPWI) is currently at version 2.03, and atavares was using version 1.52. IPWI is now an obsolete product, it has been replaced a few days ago with InstallShield Developer version 7.0.

shrishankaraan

shrishankaraan
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2001 - 03:39

Hi Stefan

Can u Please tell me where can I get Windows Installer 1.2 ( from microsoft ). and do u think it's an better tool for creating the install file?? Please send in ur valuable suggestions.

Thanks
sankar

shrishankaraan

shrishankaraan
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2001 - 04:08

Hi Stedfan

I read in one of the websites that  WI 1.2 is for Windows ME & for window s2000 it's jsut WI 1.1.
Is this right?? i'm using win 2K

regards
Sankar

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 11 August 2001 - 06:50

Yes, that's true. 1.2 is very similar to 1.1 but has some additions that only apply to Windows Me (support for system restore etc.). instmsiw.exe version 1.2 cannot be used to update Win2000 because of windows file protection. The latest version for Win2000 is included in the latest service pack (I think its Windows Installer 1.11 in Win2000 SP2)