This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Wrong OS or OS version for application

6 replies to this topic

frede

frede
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 21:22

I get the above error message when I run my installation on a Windows Server 2003 SP1 system. My installation is a basic msi installation with MSI 3.1. I did not get this problem when I did not have SP1 installed, but that might have been a coincidence. I have searched the MSDN for any information regarding this but have found nothing useful.
I get the exact same error message when I run the instmsia.exe from the same system so it seems to be more of a Windows Installer issue than a InstallShield problem. InstallShield support won't help me as this "falls beyond the scope of the InstallShield Technical Support"? Customer care? I don't think so! mad.gif

Windows Installer 3.1 is already installed with SP1 so I can't see why it should bother installing or configuring it.

Can anyone help me with this? sad.gif
Regards
Frede

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 15:16

instmsia.exe is for Windows 95/98/Me family. For BT family (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003) use instmsiw.exe to install msi 2. There's a different redist file name for msi 3 (which is not supported on 9X/Me/NT4).
MSI 3.1 is already part of Win 2003 SP1 so you should not run the rrdist on this OS version.
Which exact InstallShield version are you using? Are you using InstallShield's setup.exe to install MSI 3.1 ? It should detect that it's not required on 2003 SP2 and should not attempt to run the redist. Otherwise this would be a bug in InstallShield (if 2003 SP1 is a supported target OS in your version of InstallShield)

frede

frede
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 22:10

QUOTE (Stefan Krueger @ 2005-10-23 14:16)
instmsia.exe is for Windows 95/98/Me family. For BT family (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003) use instmsiw.exe to install msi 2. There's a different redist file name for msi 3 (which is not supported on 9X/Me/NT4).
MSI 3.1 is already part of Win 2003 SP1 so you should not run the rrdist on this OS version.
Which exact InstallShield version are you using? Are you using InstallShield's setup.exe to install MSI 3.1 ? It should detect that it's not required on 2003 SP2 and should not attempt to run the redist. Otherwise this would be a bug in InstallShield (if 2003 SP1 is a supported target OS in your version of InstallShield)

Thank for your reply.

I am using InstallShield Pro 11 and yes I am using the setup.exe to install MSI 3.1. I only ran instmsia.exe as a recommendation from InstallShield support to try and find out why I get that specific error message. Again, I get this error regardless if I run the setup.exe or the instmsia.exe. It seems to me that IS incorrectly running instmsia.exe when I run my installation, possibly cause it cannot detect the OS. 2003 Server, XP and Windows 2000 are required for my product. I don't believe it's possible to specify a specific SP without using custom actions or system search. Anyway the installation should work on all of the above OS. Wouldn't be suprised if this is yet another InstallShield bug.

Any other ideas?
Thanks
Fredrik

Edited by frede, 23 October 2005 - 22:10.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:37

Do you run Setup.exe in compatibility mode?

frede

frede
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:58

QUOTE (Zweitze @ 2005-10-24 07:37)
Do you run Setup.exe in compatibility mode?

What is compatibility mode? If you mean "3.1 or 2.0 (best fit for system)" I am not running that. I have pure 3.1 selected. I got teh following reply from InstallShield tech support (after and angry email)

--- InstallShield Tech Support Start ---
Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 was included with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Windows Installer 3.1 is available as a redistributable system component for Windows Server 2003 Operating System.

Usually the error “Wrong OS or OS version for application” occurs when the Operating System that you are using is not compatible with the Windows Installer Redistributable.

Unfortunately in this scenario, You cannot install this redistributable on the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows Server 2003 SP1. To update the 32-bit and 64-bit editions of Windows Server 2003 SP1, or to update the 64-bit editions of Windows XP, download the hotfix that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 898715 instead of the 893803 (v2) package.

Please check the below MSDN article which discusses more in detail about the above information that I have provided about Windows Installer 3.1 version. You can also find links to the

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;893803

Below is the link to download the hotfix described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 898715.

http://support.micro....com/kb/898715/
--- InstallShield Tech Support End ---

After reading the KBase article it seems that there's a bug in Windows Installer 3.1 shipped with Windows Server 2003 SP1. The redistributables are updated with a fix, but the redistributables cannot be installed in Windows Server 2003 SP1. Therefore there is a specific hotfix just for Windows Server 2003 that updates MSI 3.1 to "V2".

After applying the hotfix my installation runs without any error message. I don't know if I dare use 3.1 or if I should switch to "best fit" or MSI 3.0

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:38

Compatibility mode: A feature to emulate a different OS (eg. Windows 98) for programs with a poor forward compatibility.

In Windows 2003 Server, start explorer, navigate to Setup.exe, ask properties, check "Compatibility" tab, then "Compatibility mode".

frede

frede
  • Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 21:42

QUOTE (Zweitze @ 2005-10-25 07:38)
Compatibility mode: A feature to emulate a different OS (eg. Windows 98) for programs with a poor forward compatibility.

In Windows 2003 Server, start explorer, navigate to Setup.exe, ask properties, check "Compatibility" tab, then "Compatibility mode".

That might work but I haven't tried it. It does not matter though. I can't as end user to emulate a Win 98 system on a Windows Server 2003 system.