This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How to add a File into MSI without using VS IDE?

2 replies to this topic

kuoshen

kuoshen
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 14:09

Hi,everyone

I have already know how to use ORCA to add a custom action DLL to a Windows Installer setup.

Now I want to know is there a possible way to add a File(.txt, .dll,....etc) into MSI File directly without using VS IDE?.

Note: use ORCA acceptable!

thanks~~

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 22:10

There are two things involced. First, and always required, is adding a row to the File table. Second, only if your application files are stored inside the msi file: not possible with Orca. Application files can be stored uncompressed or compressed into CABs. And these CABs can then be embedded in the .msi file. An .msi file is a COM structured storage and the CABs can be stored in a stream in it (the msi database is in a different stream). So you would have to: extract the CAB from the msi file, add the file (be careful with the sequence) and then re-embed the CAB in the msi. I believe therre's a tool for the latter in the Platform SDK.

Gareth at Serif

Gareth at Serif
  • Full Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 16:56

And if your file has no version number (txt, jpg, etc.) then you need to add a row to the MsiFileHash table too.