This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Shortcut Re-Launches Installer!

1 reply to this topic

ChuckChamblee

ChuckChamblee
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 18:00

There's not an easy way to describe this, so I'll just shoot from the hip. I have a CTI application that I have been trying to build an installer for. I have attempted this with three different installer packages: InstallShield Express 2.0, InstallShield Express 3.5, and Microsoft .NET packager, whis is very similar to InstallShield. I hate to say it, but so far I like the results of using the elder of the products, IS Express 2.0. It allows me to install my application, and allows me to make changes to it (registry changes, updated exe files, etc.) without any ill effects. Yet it lacks some key features that I need, such as running VB scripts inside the installer. Both InstallShield Express 3.5 and the MS .NET packager overcome the issues of running my VB script, but they cause a strange behavior with my application after the installation. Read on...

My installer (IS Express 3.5) for my application basically does these things: Copies executables, DLLs, and txt files to an application folder and sub-folders. It also makes registry entries using the registry editor feature. Finally, it creates desktop and program folder shortcuts to launch my application and it's configuration tool. The installation process works just fine. But after installation, the problems start.

When I launch my products config tool from the desktop or from its program folder, it runs the tool properly. The tool allows me to setup configuration options for my application, most of which are registry changes based on the customer's needs. If I save the changes made with the tool, close the tool, then relaunch the tool, the Installer MSI runs itself again and restores my registry back to the state it was in after the install! It does this anytime I change an item in the registry manually and try to relaunch the config tool. My main CTI app shortcut also does the same thing. WHY does this MSI installer behavior occur? The only way I have been able to resolve this problem thus far is to DELETE the shortcuts that the installer created for me, and rebuild them manually.

Maybe I just need more education in the use of MSI, but there's GOT to be a way to get around this problem! Surely I'm not the first to have this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck Chamblee
cchamblee@telcontrol.com
(256)652-5155

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 28 November 2002 - 09:39

Does your application delete registry entries that your setup created? In this case, if the entries are selected as key path of the component, they will automatically get repaired.
The solution would be to select a different key path (a file or folder, or a registry entry you don't delete).