This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

write access to an installed directory

5 replies to this topic

Mariscal

Mariscal
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 21:12

Hi all,

I am currently working the kinks out of an installation for a web-based application. There are two folders that are created during the installation for which the end-user needs write access. Is there a way that I can grant them that privilege during the installation, rather than having them do it manually? I am looking into a way to do this, but have not yet found a solution. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance...

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:24

I haven't looked into automating this type of functionality in an IS setup before, but did you just want to open these directories up to a whole Windows group (i.e. Users) or will you have a particular Windows account in mind?
user posted image

Mariscal

Mariscal
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 17:39

I should think opening the folders to a Windows group like Users would be ideal. Is there perhaps a switch or setting of some sort within InstallShield that I can activate that would allow this? Thanks...

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 19:14

There's no built in switch for this in InistalLScript, but I think you could call cals.exe via LaunchAppAndWait.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 00:45

That's true Stefan, but I know you actually meant calcs.exe instead of cals.exe.

However, in checking Microsoft's web site, I found an extended version of that command-line utility along with a nice write up describing how it works:

HOW TO: Use Xcacls.exe to Modify NTFS Permissions

I'll also see about adding this to the FAQ since this is a popular question.

Edited by Taco Bell, 08 February 2006 - 00:45.

user posted image

Mariscal

Mariscal
  • Full Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 17:05

Thanks very much; this is quite helpful.