This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Corrupted files are not updated after upgrade

11 replies to this topic

tanya.lozovaya

tanya.lozovaya
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 17:29

I have a very big problem.
I have project with 2 releases (Installshield Developer 8) - 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 versions.
After installation 1.0.2 and change files that were installed by hand (html files) reinstalltion of 1.0.3 build does not change these files.
I need to repair the installation.
Can me help anybody?

P.S. I tried to use minor and major upgrades - no difference.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 12:24

Windows Installer's file verisoning rules prevent file that a user has modified after they had been originally been installed from being overwritten. A Major Upgrade with setting "remove old version completely before installing the new version" should work however (if these files actually have been installed by the original setup).

tanya.lozovaya

tanya.lozovaya
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 13:18

It does not work - I have tried to use Major Upgrade with this option. No changes on reinstallation process.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 14:13

files that were installed by hand
Do you mean you copied these files over manually, not in the original setup? In this case the uninstall of the original setup will not remove them. You either have to remove them manually, or add entries to the RemoveFile table of the new version.

tanya.lozovaya

tanya.lozovaya
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 15:30

After installation 1.0.2 and change files that were installed by hand (html files) reinstalltion of 1.0.3 build does not change these files.

I am sorry - I was mistaken in my English maybe smile.gif
I meant - these files were installed with installation package and after this they were changed manually.
I did not cory these files over manually - I just changed installed files.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 15:32

In this case you should generate a verbose log file of the upgrade install to see what's actually going on.

tanya.lozovaya

tanya.lozovaya
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 17:07

I have no idea how to make verbose log files for exe application (I have Basic MSI project, not InstallScript MSI project).

P.S. Sorry for the my topic in the irrelevant place (I was mistaken in the theme sad.gif()

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 14:42

http://www.msifaq.com/a/1022.htm

tanya.lozovaya

tanya.lozovaya
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:26

Thank you.

MSI (s) (18:68): Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=INITVA~1.JS|initvalues.js,SourceCabKey=initvalues.js,
DestName=initvalues.js,Attributes=16384,FileSize=196,PerTick=32768,,
VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,,,InstallMode=126091264,HashOptions=0,HashPart1=-20473
77643,HashPart2=519827876,HashPart3=-1186333394,HashPart4=-566066698,)
MSI (s) (18:68): File: C:\Program Files\test\initvalues.js;  Won't Overwrite;  No patch;  Existing file is unversioned but modified

I made log file, but I can't understand what does it mean - "Won't Overwrite; No patch;".

Any idea?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 13:30

Existing file is unversioned but modified

This means that the EXISTING file has been modified after it has been installed (modify date is more recent than create date)

tanya.lozovaya

tanya.lozovaya
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:43

Is this normal way to upgrade product by installation package (if there is modified unversioned file, then it will not be overwritten)?

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 16:13

Yes. Windoes Installer assume that such a file contains user data (e.g. a document that the user has edited). You can force an update by deleting the existing file using the RemoveFile table, or by specifying a (fake) version number in your msi. In both cases the file will always be overwritten.