This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Howto get "real" component name inside a script?

3 replies to this topic

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 16:38

Hi to all,
I discovered the function
ComponentGetData (szComponentSource, szComponent, nInfo, nvResult, svResult);
retrieves information about a component.
Information type is decided by nInfo parameter where (i.e.):

COMPONENT_FIELD_DESCRIPTION
The description displayed when the component is selected in a component selection dialog. For a component in a file media library, this is the value stored in the Description field of the Component Properties window.

COMPONENT_FIELD_STATUS
The status text displayed in the progress indicator during file transfer. This is the value stored in the Status Text field of the Component Properties window.

COMPONENT_FIELD_DISPLAYNAME
The component name displayed in the component selection dialogs. For components in file media libraries, this is the value in the Display Name field in the Component Properties window.

And so on with almost all the component's properties.
But how if i want to retrieve the component name, that is the text near the component in the Components Pane (which can differs from COMPONENT_FIELD_DISPLAYNAME)?

Thanks.
Ciao, Giuseppe

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 21 January 2003 - 17:26

Yeah, I know exaclty what you are talking about and I believe that's a big whole in IS.

I currently/personally have a bunch of #defines which I manually maintain to match the project Components list.
user posted image

gronchi

gronchi
  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 08:16

What a donkey I am!!!

Isn't the "real" component name 'szComponent'?
referring to ComponentGetData (szComponentSource, szComponent, nInfo, nvResult, svResult);

And thinking the Help is so clear...
Moreover, to obtain all top-level components it's following code enough:

ComponentListItems (MEDIA, "", listComponents);

Sorry for the stupid post

P.S. what do you think TacoBell00?

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 15:23

Yeah, szComponent is the real name, so ...

Oh wow, look at that!  Yeah, using a recursive call on ComponentListItems you then could easily retrieve all of the true component names.  Cool.  I'll have to keep that in mind for future releases.

Thanks for the information and there's thew new thing I learned about IS for today.  :)
user posted image