This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Dll Hell and Merge Modules

2 replies to this topic

mutant

mutant
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2001 - 22:38

Hi All:

I am trying to create a test install (using Install Shield for Windows 2.03) that places the contents of a msm (Merge Module) into my application directory.  This is a simplification of my real problem...

I have read everything I can find and am still stumped.  I tried editing the msm so that the desination directory in the msm is ".";  I have then tried using the merge module wizard to add the module to my project (which just contains one executable) and set the destination directory to [INSTALLDIR].  The file does not install.  I also tried creating the directory table entry in the root installation (page 739 in the offical installshield for windwos installer developers guide).
Still no file.

Am I just missing something basic here?  I am just trying to make an install where the contents of a distributed Merge Module (Mainly from Microsoft) gets installed into my application directory.  This is so I can handle DLLHELL by having my own private copies of some runtime libraries.

Anybody got a sample that does this?  If so please email it to me.....

Thanks
Mark

DavidCahill

DavidCahill
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2001 - 14:38

Hi,
read InstallShield's KB article Q103200. This article explains how to do what you want.

David

mutant

mutant
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2001 - 18:21

David:

Thank you - that article did it.  I was missing the fact that you had to override ALL the directories listed in the MSM.  I brought the module up under ORCA and cut/pasted the directories to the InstallShield® directories (under the power editor).

It worked and I do not have to modify the original MSM files.

Thanks Again
Mark