This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Does Uninstalling Main release uninstalls patches

1 reply to this topic

tuteja

tuteja
  • Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 23:33

I have created a basic msi installation and releasing to customer. Do i need to do something special to take care for future patches ?

For Example:

My current release version is 5.00.000 and i will release patches 5.00.100, 5.0.200 etc..every couple of months.

Now when i release version 6.00.000 next year, i want customer to Uninstall version 5.00.000 with all the patches.

I am afraid when customer uninstall 5.00.000, he may forget to uninstall 5.00.100 etc.. patches.

Is there any way force them to uninstall patches before they uninstall main release ?

Should i implement this feature in main release or in the patch code ?

Thankyou for your help.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:21

The very nature of patches i.e. MSPs means that uninstalling the main product uninstalls the patches, since the binaries will have been updated. If, however, rather than patches you mean updates, which may have added new files, then those should be catered for in your v6 package. Since you know the ProductCodes, you can use AppSearch to determine their presence and set appropriate property values.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.