This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Minor Update do not replace files - in verbose log Patch Modified File

14 replies to this topic

plmamar

plmamar
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 14:22

I have one patch defined having older previous setup version added. Patch gets build and installed correctly. Issue is - no file is replaced.
When applying patch in Orca - files are reported to be updated.
When applying in reality - nothing changes.

I have noticed after installting patch with verbous logging that is previos working patches that we made secion Patch Modified Files List in log contained files that were actually changed and replaced.
In this patch - after this log section: "Patch Modified Files List" there are no entries !!!

Anyone can help with that - any idea?
BR.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 17:01

Any SELMGR errors in the log?

Did you double check the base and target version settings and relationship, to make sure that the patch transform is applicable?

plmamar

plmamar
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:25

I have no SELMGR and replations looks correct

previous package current package UpgradeCode {171ADAEC-52D3-415D-A0B0-271224E922C7} {171ADAEC-52D3-415D-A0B0-271224E922C7} ProductCode {90153326-7691-4093-B52F-8405D0D0867F} {90153326-7691-4093-B52F-8405D0D0867F} ProductVersion 6.05.01590 6.05.02604

plmamar

plmamar
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:28

I will rewrite this as export table from excel failed:

UpgradeCode and ProductCode are the same and ProductVersion are different prev=6.05.01590 current=6.05.02604

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 15:18

Does it work if you update using the full msi instead of a msp?

plmamar

plmamar
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:43

Sorry for delay - I had some out of office time.

I tried to install full msi but it fails with message - another version of this product is already installed - and asks to go to add/remove programs to uninstall.

I have converted project to 2012 form 2010 to find if that can help - but 2012 occures to fail to include some automatic references and differential package buil completly fails (it says during the build that if fails to find correct dependant file names - they are com object - so it actually should).

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 19:57

You either have to run msiexec.exe /i your.msi REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL or use setup.exe to avoid this error message.

plmamar

plmamar
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 13:48

It helped to install -> files were updated. I compared it with our settings and we had different part:  REINSTALLMODE=os.

This was the setting we previously has been using and it worked fine (we wanted not to update registry).

I also made patch with vomus instead of os and this looks like it needs oryginall installation stored on the cliet - which we unfortunatelly do not have - probably v options forces that.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:26

v is not required in a .msp, only when installing a full .msi as minor update.

plmamar

plmamar
  • Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 15:27

Where should I look for a reason than of failing patch to replace files while full installation replaces files correctly?

I made that msp with v before Your last post and I tried to insall - system asked for missing main installation - we do not store it on the client side - so I copied it. Than patch installed correctly - but did not replace files.

The same msi package that mps was made from installed on top of previous installation - replaced files correctly.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 13:44

Okay, so let's take a closer look at the msi log file you created during the msp install. What does it say about the files? Something like "won't patch because..."?

vladm

vladm
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 16:40

Hey plmamar,

Did you manage to resolve the issue?

I'm facing the same problem: if other components patches for our product already installed patch in question does not update files. If patch in question is installed first - files are updated. in both case visually from end-user prospective patch install looks good. and when files are not updated "Patch Modified Files List" is empty...

Stefan: in my case i don't see any entries "won't patch because..." in msi log file...

Thanks,

Vlad

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 17:06

I've recently seen a patch that didn't include any files. The path was wrong on the build system, so the patch was build essentially empty.

vladm

vladm
  • Full Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 17:11

Not my case for sure: looks like my patch conflicts with patches for other components for our product. if I install my patch first - it works just fine. if I install patch for other component first and my patch second - no files are updated.

raju

raju
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 17:22

Hi frnds,

I am new to this application packaging.

I have a problem?

I am having 2 msi, but 1st msi is installed once reboot the system, after 2nd msi will be install, after i want a dialog box like your installation is done. how you resolve it?  Pls give me idea...