This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

MSI LOG : Restart to complete installation

3 replies to this topic

matrot

matrot
  • Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:35

Hello,
I'm looking for information in the MSI verbose log file to understand why a reboot is needed. I understand that this is probably due to some file used in other processes, but what is (are) the keywork(s) to search for in the log file ?

TIA.

Edited by matrot, 09 January 2008 - 11:36.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 13:37

Not sure from the top of my head, but try "held in use" or "reboot" or "restart"

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 15:36

Wouldn't the (free) Log Analyzer give a clue? Search for 'WiLogUtl.exe' online and load the log into it.
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

matrot

matrot
  • Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 18:10

Found the problem.
We are installing printer drivers and printers with the help of a C++ CA. For an unkown reason, AddPrinter/AddPrinterDriver returns ERROR_SUCCESS but register driver files in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations (REG_MULTI_SZ). This value is detected by MSI and it asks for a computer restart.

Thanks for that.