This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

VersionNT64 Condition on Vista 32 Bit...???

3 replies to this topic

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 15:55

I'm once again totally stumped with this one.

We have some files with the same name but dependent on 64 bit or not. So, under our Feature we have conditions (VersionNT64) and NOT (VersionNT64). The files under these conditions that do not share common names install properly based on the target architecture (myfile.dll and myfile_x64.dll for example). Those that do share common names (Company.AutoDAC.Interop.dll for example (on is 32 bit component, the other 64 bit)) seem to always be getting the file under the (VersionNT64) condition even though the OS is Vista 32 bit.

And, to confuse matters more, this appears to be the only platform where this problem occurs.

Does anyone know where I can even begin to look. I should add that all 64 bit files are marked 64-bit components on their details page. Currently this is also being applied as a patch, but again, works under all other OS/architecture combinations -- so I'm told.

I am totally baffled with this one (as is usually the case).

Please help!!

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 18:46

Maybe the files get overwritten already in your disk image? This could happen if this is an uncompressed release and you didn't specify a separate "source folder" for the components. Test with a compressed release to see if that's your problem.

Also, check the log to see the actual value of the VersionNT64 property and the selection state of all features and components.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 19:20

I think we have a compressed release (initiated from .msi). The source files are pulled from separate locations.

I will check the logs though...

It appears as though its the naming. If we change the name of the 64 bit files to include something like _x64 in the name all is placed as desired.

So it appears that if you two files named the same to be installed conditionally to the same location, the condition is either ignored or not resolved properly.

I would think that would be a Windows Installer bug??

The files also have the same version as well, but I don't know why that would be coming into play in our scenario.

We haven't tried leaving the files with the same name and maybe install the 64 bit files to an x64 folder.

Superfreak3

Superfreak3
  • Full Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:32

Changing the target location for the 64 bit files solved our problem.

I would have thought the conditions would work no matter what the files were named or what the target was, but we tried both approaches (renaming/alt target location) and then the conditions worked properly.

I don't know if there is a bug in there somewhere or if it just didn't like these two interops we were trying to use.