This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Custom Action not launching EXE

3 replies to this topic

pshore

pshore
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 13:14

Situation:

Using Install Shield X SP1 I have a CA which is supposed to launch an EXE only on Windows 98/98SE. The EXE is a part of the install I am running. By looking at the log I can tell the CA attempts to fire but I get a return value of 1631. From what I can tell this is not the same as the 2755.1631 can't start windows installer issue. The EXE is to continue running after the install has finished (same concept as popping a readme.txt in notepad)

Settings in the CA:
Working Directory is INSTALLDIR
Filename & Commandline has just the name of the EXE (no switches needed)
Return Processing is Async (no wait for return)
In-script execution is Immediate
Execution scheduling is Always

The CA is set for the Install Exec Sequence After InstallFinalize with a condition of Version9X>=400

Other Notes:
As a means of background the EXE is written in .NET and the 1.1 Framework is deployed with this MSI.

This CA does should not run on UnInstall (there is another EXE which will terminate this one).

Thanks in advance for your assistance, this one is driving me nuts.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 19:22

What's the exact error message you get? (Generate a verbose log)
Does your install abort with error 1631, or do you get a return code of 1631 from the exe?

pshore

pshore
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 13:47

When I run a verbose log I receive a return code of 1631 on the ActionEnded line for the Custom Action. There is no error with the MSI itself that appears to the screen. The Action Ended SetupCompleteSuccess give sa return code of 2 and the ActionEnded Install has a return code of 1.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:25

Does the EXE return an exit code of 0 ? If it doesn't you must configure the custom action to ignore the return code. Windows Installer will interpret any return code from an exe other than 0 as failure.