This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Runtime error in _INS5576._MP

4 replies to this topic

bglover

bglover
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2001 - 03:17

I'm in dire need of your help ... on some of my tester's machines (9x and NT4 with all the right SPs) they are getting a Runtime error in _INS5576._MP saying abnormal program termination. The error occurs when trying to register files using the batch method. I need to use this method since some of the files I'm installing have dependencies on one another and I can't control the order in which the files are put on the machine (if someone knows how to do this please share). The problem doesn't seem to be consistant from machine to machine. I thought it maybe related to a missing dependency file but ran depends (from Dev studio tools) and found no missing files. So I went back to basics ... ensuring no TSRs are running in the background, dropping video etc but the problem still exists on these specific machines. I went so far as to have them copy the setup locally and boot into "safe mode". It didn't help. I've done searches on this error and have found a few articles and other postings but none seem related, they talk about running in debug mode etc. So if anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing this error ... software, hardware, missing file(s), please let me know. Or if you know how to control the order in which files are copied and registered so I don't have to use the BATCH METHOD please let me know. Thanks for reading.

Torgui

Torgui
  • Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 April 2001 - 06:03

Well.. Of course you can ComponentMoveData to a temporary folder and then use XCopyFile to control the order of the files transferred to the right locations.

_INS5576._MP crashes have been quite a pain for me also. We get them usually in a situation when user cancels the file copying and exits the Setup without rebooting (our rollback functionality usually suggests reboot if installation was cancelled during file copying phase).

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 04 April 2001 - 19:17

First, do you have the operating systems supported in the media build settings and second, are any of the files os specific?  (ie, atl.dll unicode only on 9x, others...)  If you have os specific dlls, be sure to ComponentFilterOS for the target os. Surely you have Enable(SELFREGISTERBATCH) before the file xfer and Do(SELFREGISTRATIONPROCESS) after.  

This is, in my opinion, the best way because if there is an error, only the one with the error doesn't register.  The other way, when one has an error, the registration is stopped immediately.

(You can define the order files are put on the machine by ordering the components from top to bottom.  See topic about easily reordering the components on this site; today as a matter of fact).

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 April 2001 - 16:34

I have seen this same crash caused by nothing to do with the install and everyting to do with bugs in the DLL themselves.  I stopped using SelfRegisterBatch because of these crashes.  I invoke RegSvr32 on each of the DLL, in the order they are required to be registered.  Also, if the DLL has bugs in the registration function, it will then crash the RegSvr32 program and not your setup program.