This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Installshield 2009: Self-registration of ...

7 replies to this topic

csd1304

csd1304
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:23

Hi all,
I have a problem installing our installation package (IS 2009 Prof. / Installscript) on a Windows 7 machine.
Until now we only supported operating systems up to Windows XP and our installation was properly running, incl. self-registration of activex components.

The logged in Windows 7 user performing all the following actions is member of the Administrators group.

Installing on a machine running Windows 7 gives us several errors during self-registration of activex components.

For example:
"cwui.ocx" from Measurement Studio for Visual Studio 6 failed with: "Error: 0x80040200"

"hhctrl.ocx" failed with: "Error accessing the OLE registry."

The Required Execution Level of our installation package is set to Administrator but this does not fix our problem.

Add. some more ocx files are not self-registered during installation without any error messages.

However: Registering all these activex components in an elv. command shell works fine and makes our applications run properly under Windows 7.

So my question is: What do we have to change in our installation settings to fix this errors/problems?
Does IS 2010 Prof. / Installscript support the self-registration of active ocx/dll files in Windows 7?

Thanks in advance!

csd1304

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 15:39

Where are you deploying these OCX files? 'cause I would recommend they go in your BIN subdirectory and not say the SYSTEM32 folder.

Also, is the self-registration being done as a part of the file group or through InstallScript code? 'cause I would recommend trying the latter if you aren't already.
user posted image

csd1304

csd1304
  • Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:43

Well, these ocx files are deployed to my applications subdirectory and not to system32 (which is something i tried also) but it is still not working. And yes, the self-registration is done as part of the file group.

Now, because of your tip I tried to register the ocx files within the InstallScript and ...

... it works (!) (it also works if I install into System32 !!).

Ok, now the problem is that we have plenty of activex ocx and dll files in our installation package and we call sub packages also containing activex files from our main package. So it will be lots of work to register every activex file within InstallScript.

However, I would expect, that an installation tool as Installshield 2009 (I checked this also with IS 2010 Trial version) should do this work for me e.g. via the file group property "Self-Register".

Regards

csd1304

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 15:24

I agree that the file group's self-registration should continue to function properly on Windows 7 and I'm not sure why it doesn't. That would be a good question for Flexera.

I also understand that it would be a lot of work to move the self-registration over to InstallScript, but maybe you can pick & choose the ones that are really necessary and at least you have a workaround now.
user posted image

hsannaung

hsannaung
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:13

Hi,

I'm also facing the same problem.
Can you please let me know the example script for this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 15:55

Oh, the InstallScript for the self-registration is simply the following:

nResult = LaunchAppAndWait("regsvr32", "/s "+szFilename, WAIT);
user posted image

ysy2949

ysy2949
  • Full Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:43

Thank you all! I got the answer for the same problem.
you are very kind~. Thank you again!

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 14:09

Glad we could help ysy2949.
user posted image