This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Slow dialog performance

3 replies to this topic

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:57

I have recently had a dramatic slowdown in dialog performance. It seems that some sort of "heavy" operation takes place in the background, and I don't know what it is. The strange thing is that this happened very suddenly. New files have steadily been added to the setup, but the drop in performance happend "over night".

I do install from a compressed setup.EXE, and I do cache the whole installer in the "Downloaded Installations" folder. Besides these factors, what other things can cause a dramatic performance loss?

- too much date in the binary table I suppose
- too many installscripts in the project?
- Special types of custom actions?

Of the recent changes I did was to split the installscript code into several new *.rul files. These are include in the main setup.rul using include statements. Could this slow things down?

#include "CheckLicense.Rul"
#include "CheckAppInUse.Rul"
Etc...

Only the top level setup.rul contains includes for the Installshield engine.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 17:52

While reviewing the InstallExecuteSequence I discovered several custom actions with the same sequence number, one of them being InstallFinalize. After fixing this things seem to run a little faster. I didn't get any warning from Installshield Developer about this problem however, and I wonder how it could happen in the first place, I have never modified the sequence tables manually. Either way, the setup is still slow, but not as slow as before smile.gif
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 13:33

Did you perform a validation?

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 23:05

Do you run any antivirus programs?

If yes, then the virus engine could be scanning your package when it is being copied over to the hard drive which is slowing the install down.

I had trouble with some anti virus engines significantly slowing my machine down when we opened our CAB files.