This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

How does WI handle zero-byte files?

8 replies to this topic

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 13:10

I have a collection of MSI, representing various releases of a product.

It appears that certain releases have a copy of a DLL which is zero bytes in length. How a DLL happens to be empty is not my problem, thank goodness) but it's an interesting question: I've seen (non-MSI) installs create such files (as placemarkers/progress indicators/whatever) but, in the cases where this DLL is zero-bytes, the file does NOT appear on the target.

My question is, is that a feature of MSI/WI, or should it, infact, faithfully create such a file?
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 14:26

It may depend on the OS. IIRC some Windows version are unable to copy zero byte files.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 15:03

This is on Windows 2000 Pro.

I can create zero-byte files quite happily with COPY CON [filename], Ctrl+Z, Return and I can copy the resulting file anywhere, which Win2K is more than happy to do. So, I guess it's an MSI/WI issue.

Before I go to the ludicrous lengths of creating a new project with a zero-byte file in it just to test the theory, does anyone know, definitively, if such files are a problem for MSI/WI
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 23:37

I don't think it's a problem for Windows Installer, but maybe some exotic filesystem driver (eg. an obscure Unix-version) or network client software (eg. one of the many buggy Netware clients by Novell) wouldn't like that.

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:29

LOL.....I don't want to be rude, but are you serious? Do you not think that, given the generally professional level of discussion here, I wouldn't have mentioned anything out of the ordinary about my set-up?

I can see I'm going to have to create a new project that attempts to install a zer-byte file. When I get around to it, I'll post the result.

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:50

VBScab: Zweitze is a regular on this board. It is generally not too motivating to get the kind of reply you posted above.

I created a simple test project to test this (which took less than 5 minutes btw), and both an empty *..txt and an empty *.dll installed fine on Windows XP Pro. So as Stefan and Zweitze pointed out it may be the OSs behaving differently. It could also be the file system on the drive you install to and where you compile the files. Is it FAT, FAT32, NTFS or is it a shared drive SAMBA, NOVELL etc...

If I were you I would have a chat with the developers of this application to verify how these files are actually created and if they really are valid files that indeed need to be installed. A problem removed is a problem solved.
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 13:01

So, for any app that uses zero-byte files, for whatever reason (and I've seen a few - Open Bloomberg springs to mind...), you're suggesting I have the developer change his/her modus operandi, to fit in with what appears to be WI's inability to copy these files on W2KPro? That doesn't strike me as particularly practical: it's hard enough to have them deal with *real* bugs or even acknowledge that issues exist at all, much less change the way their apps work.

As for my comments to Zweitze, I'm sorry, but the majority of posts *I've* looked at on this forum include, if anything, more information than required so it rankled that anyone would think a poster wouldn't mention anything out of the ordinary. Besides which, the post to which Zweitze replied explicitly stated that this is occuring on W2KPro: no special drivers or obscure set-ups were mentioned. It also states that the OS is happy to create and copy such files so the only conclusion possible is that it's not an OS issue, even if they *were* odd drivers or whatever.

[end]
I'll do my project and post the result, once the real work's out of the way.
[/end]

Glytzhkof

Glytzhkof
  • Moderators
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 13:44

Having a bad day mate? wink.gif . I am not here to pick a fight. If you read what I wrote again you should be able to see that what I am suggesting is that you go back to the developers and check what these files are, if they are really needed for the application and if they are valid files just to make sure the problem is relevant.

That much said: It is a fact that the modus operandi of many development teams is the direct cause of a lot of deployment problems. Believe me I know how impossible it is to get developers to change their behavior, but as setup developers we are sometimes obligated to provide feedback as to what is not good practice. If we don't then there will be no change at all.

I also suggested to check what file system this occurs on. Do you use FAT or NTFS on your Win2000 machine? Are the zero byte files in separate components or added to a component with other files in them?
Regards
-Stein Åsmul

Zweitze

Zweitze
  • Full Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 16:01

@VBScab: No insult taken.

But let me repeat myself and others: do not expect problems with Windows Installer itself. But keep an eye on File systems, especially non-local file systems. To give you an idea:
A client with Win2Ksp3 has problems communicating with a server with Win2Ksp2. Reason: the SMB protocol changed.
Win2K with SP4 has problems communicating to Netware 3 (Win2Ksp3 was OK).
Some Unix server (can't remember version) that would not accept any kind of file from Windows Installer, regardless the OS.

I'd be surprised if you have problems installing to local drives.