This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Help needed to check OS bit version in IS 6.3

2 replies to this topic

Swati Das

Swati Das
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 15:46

Hi Guys,

I am in a creepy problem of checking the OS bit version(32 bit or 64 bit) in my installshield 6.0, with 2 constraints:

1) The application for which i am developing this installshield must support minimum platform of Windows 2000.
2) I can't upgrade to any higher version of Installshield

Basically, I got these suggestions :

1) SYSINFO.bIsWow64 -> When I try to use this property, it gives the error as "member name not found". Perhaps this is not supported by IS 6.3.

2) VersionNT64 -> This property throws me the error "Undefined Identifer". I can't create custom actions because IS 6.3 doesn't have such option. So I tried using it in my own function. But it failed.

3) Then I got to know about MSIGetProperty and MSISetProperty which would make use of VersionNT64. I tried using it. I believe we have to use msquery.h as the header file for it. But on compiling it showed me errors in msi.h.

I am literally confused.I have the following queries:

1) Does InstallShield 6.0 support these MSI functions?

2) If yes, then am I using the right header file for MSI functions? If not, then what shall I use?

3) Could you suggest me some alternate methods to check an OS bit version using InstallShield 6.0?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Swati

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 14:23

I'm pretty sure that there is no 64 bit support in InstallShield Professional 6, which was released in 1999 if I recall correctly.

InstallShield Professional 6 only supports InstallScript, not Windows Installer (MSI).

Taco Bell

Taco Bell

IS6 Expert

• Moderators
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 14:26

IS 6.x has no inherent knowledge of 64-bit systems and certainly no MSI support.

I don't know what route to suggest though as I have no real experience with 64-bit systems. I would recommend Googling for ideas. Maybe you can key off of the "Program Files (x86)" or "syswow64" directories. I'm sure there are kernel calls that can be made as well. Good luck.
user posted image