This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Pros and Cons of upgrading to MSI from IS 6 Prof

1 reply to this topic

KnowlagentUser

KnowlagentUser
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 22:58

Hello,
We're using IS 603 Professional and are looking for a reason to upgrade to Windows Installer. Does Windows 2000/XP require it (i.e. we heard that logo compliance requires Windows Installer but logo compliance doesn't seem like it's mandatory).

Your feedback appreciated.

Ian Blake

Ian Blake
  • Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 10:26

There is no explicit requirement to use MSI installations however the msi engine is an integral part of the operating system and I think it makes sense to use it if it is there.

I can say that I personally would not use old Installshield for any new installation project..  However there is a learning curve with msi and if you have an urgent need you might be better off using your old tools until you have time to exploit the power of msi.

Msi offers a range of upgrade options.(Msi has a varied range of overwriting and removing rules that can be put together to make flexible upgrade, repair and reinstallation options).

Msi offers working file sharing facilities. (If a component is shared between more than one product msi keeps track if a component can be removed or not).

Msi offers ways of effecting easy roll out.. (Silent Installation, Admin Installation).,

Msi offers support of multiple user machines. (Msi can be arranged to sort out per-user settings when the next user logs in.)

Msi offers auto repair. (If a user have accidentally deleted a program msi will automatically reinstall the broken component)..

Msi offers install on demand.  Only icons are installed then if  a user tries to run the icon the installer pops up and installs the required features).

Msi offers elevated installation. (So a less powerful user can access normally restricted parts of the machine).

Msi has a very limited default  user interface.  (Advanced users and to a lesser extent Installshield users can do what they like with the user interface.  Some recent Microsoft products use html user interfaces).

The most recent Installshield product allow a relatively gentle migration to the world of msi.   It encourages a few design errors but it is useful for experienced  InstallShield programmers.

I am sure other people can give you further views.