This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

.mst not updated in cache directory

4 replies to this topic

biglolo

biglolo
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 16:56

My basic MSI project has two UI languages (french by default and english).
I made a minor upgrade in which some dialogs were modified (new strings were translated).

I ran the update on an english system.
Now when I execute my setup again (or from Add/Remove Programs) and choose the "Modify" option, the dialogs are modified as expected, except that the new strings are not translated! blink.gif

Then I verbose and I realize that the setup uses the 1033.mst file from cache directory (c:\Windows\Installer\{...}\1033.mst) and this one is not updated by my minor upgrade. sad.gif
On the other hand, the other files (shortcuts) in the cache directory are correctly updated.
What disappointment!
Why the transform file is not update in the cache directory?

I also try setup /fvomus, but same result. sad.gif

I read that in another forum, but it doesn't actually help me.

Is the only way to update the 1033.mst is to remove it from cache directory via a custom action in the begin of execute sequence?

Other ideas are welcome.
Thanks

I can't believe that I am the only one with this problem.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 13:46

As far as I know, transforms can only be applied at first time install, they can't be replaced later.

biglolo

biglolo
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 17:22

Thank you, Stefan.

But I don't try to apply a transform, my minor upgrade try it!
See these lines from the log when I re-run the setup (to enter in maintenance mode):
CODE
Looking for file transform: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{...}\1033.MST
Original transform ==> C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{...}\1033.MST
PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding TRANSFORMS property. Its value is 'C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{...}\1033.MST'.
TRANSFORMS = C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{...}\1033.MST

In this case, the new texts of maintenance UI are not translated.

More odd: if I remove this cached 1033.mst, when I re-run my setup or launch the maintenance UI by Add/Remove Programs, my dialogs are well translated!

More odd again: after my minor upgrade was applied, I found the cached .msi in c:\windows\installer. When I run this .msi, if I keep the cached 1033.mst, new texts are not translated, but if I remove the cached 1033.mst, new texts are translated!
So, the cached .msi is well transformed yet.

I try to remove the cached 1033.mst during my minor upgrade. Now this file is not re-created and my maintenance UI is as I want... but I am upset that I must remove this file.

Edited by biglolo, 17 October 2007 - 17:23.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 16:50

You try to apply a new (updated) .mst during your minor update, right? I think that's not possible.

biglolo

biglolo
  • Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 17:39

Thank you, Stephan

So, if I understand, even if I use InstallShield Premier Edition to make multi-lingual UI setup, I must make an major upgrade if I make any UI change which need some translation.

Am I the only one to be astound? blink.gif