This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Two Reboots Required

3 replies to this topic

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 April 2002 - 00:40

Hi,

My installation program has a ForceReboot in it.  I also specify to use version 2.0 of MSI.  As a result, I have the user reboot in the middle of installing and then at the end they need another reboot (if they previously had an earlier version of MSI).  Why doesn't the first reboot take care of upgrading MSI?  Is there a way I can only have one reboot?  I need the ForceReboot because I start a service that I installed that uses dll's in a newly added PATH (believe me, I'd love to get rid of that if I could but I've given up on it for now...).

I am using ISDev 7.02 and target W2K machines.

Thank you,
Joe

Shridar

Shridar
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 21:46

Hi,

From what you have written, I suppose you upgrade the MSI after doing a ForceReboot in case if the user has a previous version of MSI. If you were to do the upgrade before requesting for the ForceReboot, you can get rid of the second reboot. Also, remember to use 'InstallExecute' action before 'ForceReboot' if you aren't doing it already!

Shridar.
Thanks,
Shridar.

JoeThompson

JoeThompson
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 22:47

I don't see an "InstallExecute" action in my execute sequence... Is there always supposed to be one or just in the case where a ForceReboot action is needed in the middle of an installation?  What will this do for me by adding it?

Thanks for the help,
Joe
Joe T

Shridar

Shridar
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 April 2002 - 21:23

Note on 'InstallExecute' action from Windows Installer SDK.

The InstallExecute action runs a script containing all operations spooled since either the start of the installation or the last InstallExecute action or InstallExecuteAgain action. The InstallExecute action updates the system without ending the transaction.

Sequence Restrictions:
The InstallExecute action comes between the InstallInitialize action and the InstallFinalize action.

By having the 'InstallExecute' action before 'ForceReboot', all the actions prior to InstallExecute are executed by the installer. This way, your check of V2.0 of MSI if done before 'InstallExecute' & 'ForceReboot' will be executed before the reboot.