This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Language problem

7 replies to this topic

Becky Nichols

Becky Nichols
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 15:41

We have a customer that has a Japenese OS, but the install is in English.  They want the text in English.  I'm unfamiliar with languages in InstallShield, always used English.  Is there something I need to set for the install to work on a Japenese OS?

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 19:49

Should work unless they don't have a specific os, sp  or IE version.  Ensure your custom dll(s) use the system font (or whatever font IS uses for eng in its isres.dll or the jpn os may not have it).  Also, if your install relies on third party products, they may not be compliant.

(Edited by lasenbby at 11:23 pm on Nov. 27, 2001)

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 November 2001 - 21:19

These are some of my thoughts exactly.  We have many English setups in both IS 5.53 and IS 6.0 and they run on many different international versions of Windows without incident.  We primarily support English, French, German and Japanese.

Becky Nichols

Becky Nichols
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 December 2001 - 23:54

Thanks for your reply.  I haven't been able to follow up on this, but it's on the agenda for this week.

Becky

Senthill

Senthill
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 06:44

Hello Lasenbby ,
     I am trying a English NT installation package on Chinese  Winnt  4.0 version Service pack 6.
    I have been trying to install all the files I install in the application target directory so that I don't touch system directory at all of chinese NT OS. Will this work ?
   Also I would be happy if could clarify my queries?

a)  I am trying to install the files in OLEDB installshield object individually in application target directory instead of using installshield object?
Are there any problems regarding this type of installation?

b) Will third party ocx files built in windows NT English work in Chinese NT?

c) Are the JET 4.0 , OLEDB and MDAC packages from Microsoft language dependant?

thanks,
Senthill

Quote: from lasenbby on 6:49 pm on Nov. 27, 2001
Should work unless they don't have a specific os, sp  or IE version.  Ensure your custom dll(s) use the system font (or whatever font IS uses for eng in its isres.dll or the jpn os may not have it).  Also, if your install relies on third party products, they may not be compliant.

(Edited by lasenbby at 11:23 pm on Nov. 27, 2001)

lasenbby

lasenbby
  • Members
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 20:52

You ask tough questions and I don't really have answers without digging in.  How about I just give you my thoughts...

a) Should be able to do it fine as long as you know what you are doing with the technology and install all the files required and register them correctly.  (Personally, I prefer not to use IS objects because they have support for ALL languages and tend to be large and build time is forever and so I place the files myself.  If you don't understand the technology, I can see a use for them.)

b) Have to check with the third party doc.  If you build the ocxs, you may have to add:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage
value: 932
data: c_932.nls
(I think...you may need to do a little research on the correct codepage.)

c) Don't know off the top of my head but you can get on MS' website and find out for each technology.  

Blake Miller Wonder

Blake Miller Wonder
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 December 2001 - 23:15

Yes, the MDAC and ODBC have language-sensitive components.  In the case of ODBC, it is mostly the manager interface.  There is definitely a separate MDAC setup for each language.

Senthill

Senthill
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2001 - 06:21

Thank you Blake and lasen for the immediate reply. I will try them out and come back yo you all