This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

SystemRequirements: strange behaviour using Vista

4 replies to this topic

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 14:08

Hi guys,

I have a setup made with Wise 5 which contains the following requirement:
-IExplorer 4.01 or higher
(as you see, this setup is quite old :-))

When I try to DEINSTALL it under Vista the follwing message appears:
"Installer needs Internet Explorer 4.01 or higher"

The version of IE is 7.XX, so that is definetly a strange thing. But, when I deactivate UAC it works fine. This is a point I don't understand. What relation is between UAC/Vista and my restriction? Is there any workaround I can use without forcing the user to disable his UAC?

Thank you very much,
Torben

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 18:45

I suspect that the action which tries to detect IE4 fails for whatever reason. I don't know Wise, so: is this a standard AppSearch/RegLocator or similar thing, or is it a custom action? Does it use the LaunchConditions table or a Type 19 custom action to display the error message?

In general I recommend that you either put a condition of "Not Installed" (without quotes) on the LaunchConditions action or on your type 19 custom action, or append "Or Installed" to any launch condition to avoid such uninstall problems.

Anyway, I wonder how you did INSTALL this package in the first place. Maybe a log will give you some clues what's going on.

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 18:42

Hi Stefan,

>Anyway, I wonder how you did INSTALL this package in the first place. Maybe a log will give you some clues what's going on.

So do I. I'm completely worried about this behaviour. The logfile contains unfortunately no further information. It is no CustomAction I've created on my own, it is a feature of WISE to select what the setup needs to run smoothly. In this case, the old speech is inverted: It's not a feature, it is a bug. This behaviour occurs only under Vista with active UAC.

We hardly can suggest the users to deactivate their UAC, so I'll have to edit this item with a workaournd. But beceause of the strangeness of this issue I will create a native msi with Orca to evaluate if this might be an Windows Installer malfunction.

Best regards,
Torben

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:19

There MUST be an action in the log that displays that error message, either a standard or a custom action. And typically this action would fire based on a condition that involves a property. Property values are also logged. Finding this information would be the first step to find out what's going on.

If you need help understanding the log, please post the part where it displays the error message, and a couple of lines above this.

Torben

Torben
  • Full Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:27

Thank you very much for your answer.

Regards,
Torben