This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

ProgressBar to 100% immediately

2 replies to this topic

KlausLinders

KlausLinders
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 13:32

Hello. I'm woking with Dev 8.02 on a "Basic MSI" Projekt.

I have several Features with Databases to install. The size of this Features are > 2GB.

In the "SetupProgress" Dialog the ProgressBar run immediately to 100% by starting to copy the Features and is waiting there for several minutes until the copy process is working. This only happen if the Features are bigger than 2GB.

I think this is a bug because I can reproduce this problem with every "Basic MSI" Projekt if the size of the Features are > 2GB.

Please help me because my setup needs to be "user-friendly". sad.gif

mgama_123

mgama_123
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 20:41

There are a couple of things that you may not see when creating very basic installs. When you install a product, the progress bar may go from 0 to 100, a couple of times. In a setup I worked on, my progress bar did the following:

The first time it goes from 0 to 100, it can happen in a fraction of a second, or it could take a few seconds, depending on the size of your setup (number of components, properties, directory table entries, custom actions, etc.). For a product I worked on, this took about 2 or 3 seconds. 0-50 happened quickly, then it stopped on 50% for the 2 or 3 seconds, then it flew up to 100%.

Now the progress bar resets it self at 0, and the file copy process starts. It slowly works it way up to 100%. Since it was a large product, this took a while.

Once the files have all been copied, and the registry keys have been created, it does all the finalization events. Now the progress bar resets itself to 0, and begins the removal of the rollback files while incrementing the progress bar. This usually lasted no more than 2 seconds. Sometimes it would occur so fast, that the progress bar just went from 0, to 50, then 100% in the course of one second.

One other thing, if you are doing an upgrade, or a nested install, you may see additional progress bar events.

Edited by mgama_123, 25 September 2003 - 20:41.

KlausLinders

KlausLinders
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2003 - 08:08

Hello mgama_123 biggrin.gif
Thank's for your answer. My setup is doing the same thinks like your setup. Only in the file copy process the ProgressBar run immediately from 0 to 100% and is waiting there for many minutes. Once the files have all been copied and the finalization events starts the ProgressBar is working fine again.

I have to install many big files and databases (the setup start from a DVD-R). If I add the size of the files they are about 2,4 GB.

If I delete some files and the size is for example 1,8 GB the ProgressBar is working fine. Only if the size is over 2GB I have the problem with the ProgressBar. sad.gif