This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Multiple 'editions' whose features persist.

2 replies to this topic

ynohtna

ynohtna
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2003 - 11:38

Hi all,

We're preparing a release of which there are multiple editions (Standard, Keyboard, Guitar, etc). The differences are in the choice of features - each edition has a custom skin - using release flags.

It is highly desirable that when performing a cross-grade, such as installing the Guitar edition over Standard edition, that the previously installed skin feature does not get installed but remains on the target machine.

In other words, an install of the Standard edition (with release flag Standard which includes its associated skin feature) will result in:

CODE
\Program Files\DMN\
\Program Files\DMN\Skins\Standard\

Installing Guitar edition over the top should upgrade all shared features and components, install the Guitar feature (included through release flag Guitar), but leave the previous Standard skin component remaining.

CODE
\Program Files\DMN\
\Program Files\DMN\Skins\Guitar\
\Program Files\DMN\Skins\Standard\    <-- Persists in upgrade scenario.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can produce an installer which does this? (I'm using InstallShield DevStudio 9 and a Basic MSI project).

In my present scenario, I'm finding that the installer removes installed features which are not present in the new installer project. (I'm also finding that the new Guitar component is failing to install at all, but I think that's because I am using dynamic file-linking for the skins and the component GUID is changing on each build).

Also, does anyone know how I specify that the skins then get removed upon a user-requested uninstall (rather than an uninstall caused by a major upgrade)? I don't want to merely flag the various editions' features as never remove, ever.

Many thanks in advance,
Anthony.

luke_s

luke_s
  • Full Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 05:56

In your current project, the features should only be removed if the user runs a modify, or if you are running an upgrade and MigrateFeatureStates is not set.

Try checking your upgrade settings and see if that will fix your problem.

ynohtna

ynohtna
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2003 - 17:30

Many thanks for pointing me towards MigrateFeatureStates, Luke - I think that's what I need.

It looks somewhat complicated, but hopefully I'll have it all under control soon. No one could ever accuse MSI of being easy!