This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Update Service Merge Modules

5 replies to this topic

pmcclosk

pmcclosk
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 18:33

Hi All,

Has anyone ever been able to use the Update Service or FlexNet Connect merge modules outside of an InstallShield project? I'm mainly interested in using it with a WIX authored MSI that contains a custom UI we coded using the agent APIs.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 19:06

Do you already have a FLEXnet Connect account? Why don't you use the Ato Update functionality in the WiX-ClickThrough project?

pmcclosk

pmcclosk
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 19:12

Yes, we already have a self-hosted FlexNet Connect solution. We'd like to switch to WIX as our dev tool, but outside departments still want to use FNC for the updating and messaging functionality. I haven't had any luck just including the fnc61.msm into a WIX project. I'm really struggling as to why it won't work. Just adding the msm to an InstallShield project works. We've written our own update/message UI that uses the agent APIs, so we don't need ISUSPM.exe. I think we could technically just install the components we need, but I don't know the legalities of that approach.

Thanks

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 19:29

Have you tied creating a very basic project with both Wix and InstallShield, only including the merge module, and then compare the two? And also compare the install logs?
How does it fail with WiX (failure at install time or failure at run time, error messages?).
For instance, it could be a custom action sequencing issue. ustom actions in a merge module are sequenced relative to a base action. If the base actions are in a different order in your WiX project then the FNC action might be called in the wrong order.

pmcclosk

pmcclosk
  • Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 19:56

I've tried making a small package in both and then checking the differences. Outside of a few properties like DWUSLINK, there are no differences. I've tried adding this property manually into the WIX project with no result. I can build the project once I supress a few ICE errors from the Merge Module. I can run the MSI which seems to complete successfully, but none of the fnc6 files are installed. The MSI log says that the conditions governing the custom actions in the msm are all false and the actions are never executed. The main conditions like XPFOUND and the one that checks for a specific Internet Explorer version are all satisfied when installing on XP and Vista. I'm really stumped.

Thanks again.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 16:34

If the conditions are false in one case and true in the other case, you need to find out why. Is the sequence of standard and custom actions identical in the two packages?