This is a ready-only archive of the InstallSite Forum. You cannot post any new content here. / Dies ist ein Archiv des InstallSite Forums. Hier können keine neuen Beiträge veröffentlicht werden.
Photo

Run VS.NET silently

2 replies to this topic

Magic

Magic
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 14:54

Hi All,

I have Visaul Studio .NET Enterprise Developer 2003. There is an MSI (vs_setup.msi) for this but I can't run this directly. I get a message: "To install this product please run setup.exe".

I would like to use the MSI to install this product. Is there any possibilty for this?
I found out that there are 2 custom action inside the MSI that ask me to run the setup.exe. If I changed the conditions of these custom action (or if I deleted these custom actions) I could install the app with the MSI but after some attempt to install I always realized that everything fine except the main EXE so I can't launch the "Visual Studio .NET 2003" shortcut (I tried directly the exe also).
It seemed to start but after that its window was closed. There is no error or warning entry in the EventView. Installation log file is OK. Tried to repair the application but this did't work either. It seemed that the installation started as if the app wouldn't have been installed at all.

If I can't avoid to use the setup.exe is there any possibility to run the setup.exe in silent mode?
I tried to use the switches below:
- /q
- /qn
- /qr
- /settings myinifile.ini
I experienced that I can launch the setup.exe with any switch but they don't take effect and the installation run as without switches or I can't launch the exe at all.

Any idea?

Thanks

VBScab

VBScab
  • Full Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 18:54

I think the Setup executables use different switches. Try "/passive"...

If you're a developer, there has to be a way to divine what switches/registry magic that Setup is doing, in order to reproduce it. I'd imagine it's passing a property of some kind...
- Don't know why 'x' happened? Want to know why 'y' happened? ProcMon will tell you.
- Try using http://www.google.com before posting.
- I answer questions only via forums. Please appreciate the time I give here and don't send me personal emails.

Stefan Krueger

Stefan Krueger

InstallSite.org

• Administrators
  • 13,269 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 17:06

This blog article might help:
http://blogs.msdn.co.../29/272128.aspx